Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Testing 1.3

mantas

5 hours ago, engineer said:

I don't know how to update the grub tho. The kernels in boot are all LTS 4.9.130, but grub.cfg says genkernel 4.14.12.

I don't remember modifying grub.cfg so I wonder if there is a tool I need to run?

use boot-update to update the grub entries.

My problems are these:

I can't boot because grub lists an invalid efi file, and choosing it gives an error. So I boot a LiveCD and chroot in.

When I run 'ego boot update' I get an "ERROR: couldn't find grub-probe"

Emerge grub  says "fails to validate /dev - may be a broken '/dev/fd'".

I don't know how to fix this.

OK I fixed this.

So I got into the grub editor and changed the name of the kernels manually to get it to boot. Then I did an ego boot update which failed. I then remembered the emerge grub part and did that. When I looked up it was like the matrix on my screen as a billion lines of code went by.

Why doesn't make change the text color to shades of green when i use the --matrix option??!!?

I used etc-update to merge /etc/default/grub changes. Now "ego boot update" worked, tho with warning I must digest.

Things I notice: the search line has updated disk ID, and it found the old kernels which boot-update never did.

Oh - and KDE doesn't start. /etc/conf.d/xdm has DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm" but there's plenty of --depclean stuff yet to be done.

So thanks for the help, guys, I can boot again!!

_Eng

On 12/5/2018 at 7:09 AM, drobbins said:

OK, so I am following upgrade instructions, so far so good. Currently updating system.

A couple of points:

• I wanted to stay on perl 5.28 which was available some time ago from a kit, so had to unmask perl and ~20 perl virtuals, don't know if there is a file somewhere with such a list already
  • Had to unmerge a number of xorg proto packages which had file collisions with one updated xorg proto package.

System update fails on the last package - gnome-base/dconf-0.30.1 with error:

No installed vala in || ( dev-lang/vala:0.40 dev-lang/vala:0.38 dev-lang/vala:0.36 dev-lang/vala:0.34 dev-lang/vala:0.32 dev-lang/vala:0.30 dev-lang/vala:0.28 dev-lang/vala:0.26 )

vala-0.42.3 is installed

Don't know if 1.3 bugs should be already reported on bug tracker.

First, I can't report anything on bugs.funtoo.org because the login is rejecting me. 

Second, I got as far as emerge -av @preserved-rebuild, but it fails on compiling glib-2.58.1, but that fails with the complaint

Program gdbus-codegen found: NO

gio/meson.build:237:0: ERROR:  Program(s) ['gdbus-codegen'] not found or not executable

I followed the instruction and typed "emerge -auDN @system --ignore-world".

Emerge wanted to upgrade xorg-proto but detected lots of collisions.

Then emerge told me that there were many preserved libs and asked me to use "emerge @preserved-rebuild" to rebuild these libs.

--12/9

Solved!

I removed llvm 5 and 6.

• Funtoo Linux BDFL
On 12/6/2018 at 3:43 PM, mauricev said:

First, I can't report anything on bugs.funtoo.org because the login is rejecting me. 

If login is rejecting you, you will need to use authy to upgrade your account -- go to https://auth.funtoo.org/login and go through that. It should prompt you to upgrade your account. If you are not willing or able to use SMS to validate your account, you can find us on IRC and get us to manually validate your account. Oleg (angry_vincent), biberao and me will be able to help you there (other guys will have the ability to do this tomorrow)...

Just to report, one funtoo system here (KDE desktop) succesfully updated to 1.3, big thanks to dev team for their hard work on Funtoo linux.

lithium ~ # emerge -auDNv @world                
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
Calculating dependencies... done!
Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB
Nothing to merge; quitting.

asus tinkerboard (arm32 armv7a_neonvfpv4_hardfp)

funtoo 1.3 use 10% less memory, 10% more memory efficient.

One host funtoo 1.3 minimal flavour + nginx = just 49M RAM, good response time.

Another host funtoo 1.3 with Mate 1.20 Desktop Enviroment (from my overlay),  < 170M RAM. (funtoo 1.2 with Mate 1.20 ~193M RAM).

Mate DE support gtk+ up to 3.22, so I disable native mate themes and use shipped with gtk+ 3.24 themes adwaita and adwaita dark. and it works :)

• 4 weeks later...

If I am running a 32-bit Funtoo, do I need to do anything differently from the posted instructions to upgrade to 1.3? If I am running kdecore-meta and plasma-meta, do I need to only uninstall and reinstall X Window, or should I also uninstall and reinstall these packages too?