Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Yet another Funtoo-er pining for Steam.

I was trying not say anything about Steam support.  I know you guys are working on it.  I ran out of will power though.  Egosoft has released the X4:  Foundations beta for Linux and so I am dual booting between Funtoo and Xubuntu just to play it.  If you need some testing I am willing, I just need instructions for what to do.

Looking at the updates in Jira, it looks like things are moving along.   My latest update pulled in nvidia-cuda-toolkit and some other nvidia related packages that are required to make  nvidia-docker work.   nvidia-docker is in the tree.  I'm not sure if we're waiting on much more than testing and documentation. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Funtoo Linux BDFL

Also note that @temptorsent has rewritten all the nvidia ebuilds from scratch, and we're going to use these improved ebuilds as a basis for steam support. We're trying to launch the beta of these drivers today. I'll be testing to make sure that containers pick up and properly use the 32-bit nvidia libs that are required for GPU acceleration to work with steam.

2 hours ago, drobbins said:

Also note that @temptorsent has rewritten all the nvidia ebuilds from scratch, and we're going to use these improved ebuilds as a basis for steam support. We're trying to launch the beta of these drivers today. I'll be testing to make sure that containers pick up and properly use the 32-bit nvidia libs that are required for GPU acceleration to work with steam.

I saw the package on github, I'll test soon possible.