Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Help us develop and maintain Funtoo Linux!

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

Hi Everyone,

As I hope you've probably noticed, I've put a herculean amount of effort into Funtoo Linux over the past couple of months. I' have:

• Rebuilding our infrastructure from scratch, on new equipment
  • re-launched Funtoo Hosting
  • launched new forums, wrote Funtoo's own LDAP server for authentication
  • upgraded our wiki
  • launched our new ebuild pages
  • Started massively cleaning up our online documentation
  • Fixed GNOME building
  • Launched the kernel-seeds.org wiki
  • Went on a massive bug fixing rampage.

And Oleg has also been busy, fixing things when needed (which is often) and migrating Funtoo to eudev.

The project is going in a really good direction, and we are now ready to accelerate development and keep moving forward, close more bugs and make Funtoo more and more robust. We need to grow the team and have more people helping out on the wiki, helping maintain ebuilds, and helping with various other things. To learn how you can help, see: 

http://www.funtoo.org/How_to_Dev#How_to_Develop_--_The_Quick_Summary

That page explains how to get more involved. We're at the point where we're going to be more reliant on your involvement as we grow... our team needs to get a bit bigger yet.

See how you can get involved and we will talk to you soon :)

What you have / have done is great ...... 

I'm sorry to be only an amateur and I'm not an expert in computer ...... but I Love Funtoo in any details. :) 

But I know a person which is expert in informatic; therefore could contribute a lot ........ 

In a few days will find me in my house. 

I hope to do it fall in love with Funtoo as I am ...... 

For now he uses Arch 

I know that Arch is a really good distribution, but does not have the "magic" of Funtoo :P 

Funtoo must never dies: P 

Thank you Daniel and Oleg Thank You for Your work :)

Even today I found a person potentially interested by Linux and its world. 

If he come to me I'll do everything to explain what I have learned of Funtoo (and also Gentoo) ....... 

To do this, I am willing to start from 0 to remove and then install Funtoo ....... leave intact only the home :)

Funtoo deserves ..... is my favorite distribution, and You are all very nice and kind, always ready to help those in need ..... 

But it is often difficult in the sense that many want as soon as possible "all set" to be used. 

Instead, my thoughts turn especially to those who intend to study informatic ...... explaining step by step how to build a distribution using the weapons developed by the magical "Portage". 

Then will move towards the distribution they want; anyway so even understand what makes an installer. 

And 'True ..... LFS is more didactic, there is also T2 Linux that can be considered very didactic ....... but I think that to carry out distributions of this kind should perhaps be more than one person only; while *too (particullary Funtoo :P, you can do it safely while you sleep at night :) but there are several steps that seem a little 'exaggeration. 

This is why for me the "Highlander Distro" is Funtoo: P (There are can be only one: D: D: D) 

Moreover, I always think that Portage is the best in terms of intelligence and understanding by what you're doing "emerging" your system without compromises, since the same portage helps you to also check the incompatibilities between dependencies. 

I apologize if perhaps I write too much about my appreciation of Funtoo ..... 

But really I "I completely lost my head" for this incredible operating system :)

I hope my thoughts will please you. 

Thank you :)

Sandro :)

First off, thanks for all the efforts across the board that Oleg and yourself have done. 

I am also one who enjoys using Funtoo and highly appreciates the efforts put into it.

:) You're welcome.

I am going to continue working on our documentation to help train new developers.

I've always wanted to get more involved in a linux distro, and I have a lot of experience as a hobbyist on Gentoo, then Funtoo since 2002.

I wanted to ask, how much background or what would be the starting point in order to participate and start as new developer?

I don't want to get into my particular background here on the forums and in turn make it about myself, but wanted to get an idea of a starting point for a new dev, and if I'm not at that starting point, read/study up to get there and be able to contribute! ;)

@drobbins:

When flora was still active, I tried to make my first steps to help developing packages which either where totally outdated (www-apps/dokuwIki) or looked like being updated way too slow, because it's versions where way beyond recent (www-apps/drupal) in Gentoo-Portage tree. I then tried to make my first steps in maintaining my first two small packges in flora, which were www-apps/typo3-src and www-apps/typo3-dummy, which depend on each other anyway.

I do not know if I did a good job with these or if they were even used by anyone besides myself, but at least, no hate-mail hit my Inbox in these days, too. So I considered my efford resulting in a "fair" result at least.

Also, I tried to help as a moderator in the former forum and banned tons of bad boys and removed spam from it.

I read all I was able to get in these state, like the Gentoo Developer Guide and Gentoo-Forum-Posts from want-to-become - Developers these days. But I have to admit, that I never felt well informed by the ressources available. They contained many words one with no experience in the world of Portage package-development couldn't understand. Other topics, like what is EAPI and in what manner do the versions differ exactly came very short.

So I never managed to do something more than adopting outdated packages and go on from that pre-defined skelleton.

Also, I never were brave enough to use something else than webapps, which mostly are only a bunch of requirements and copying files.

I'd be more than happy to put more efford in this, but even with the guides available, I find it hard to get in touch. 

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

Okay. I will be working on resources for new developers. Flora was run as sort of a side-project, and that was probably not the best approach. An effort like that needs to be fully integrated into the main Funtoo Linux project, which I will do. That should solve the problem by ensuring that your work is paid more attention to and you are given the resources you need to be successful and learn.

Okay. I will be working on resources for new developers. Flora was run as sort of a side-project, and that was probably not the best approach. An effort like that needs to be fully integrated into the main Funtoo Linux project, which I will do. That should solve the problem by ensuring that your work is paid more attention to and you are given the resources you need to be successful and learn.

Excellent! Thanks!

Looking forward to it with religious zeal!!!!! :P