funtoo forums
upc0d3

Funtoo processor intel i7 haswell

Hello guys,

does anyone here has already configure funtoo on a intel processor serie i7 with haswell as microarchitecture?

If yes, could post here to me the dmesg and the .config of the kernel?

I'm having a lot of trouble to make this work. And I really don't know why, but I'm almost sure that I've a hardware problem and not a kernel configuration problem, but I want to be sure, and I think I can be a little more sure if I compare my kernel configuration with the configuration of someone that has this configuration working.

Thank you guys!

Happy new year to all !!!

Nothing work... after a 15 minutes of system up I get kernel panic.

I notice that there is two different kind of kernel panic... one is that very famous drm_kms_helper kernel panic...

The other one just dump a lot of hexadecimal code in the screen.

I know that it's not a lot of information... I'm going to try to get some more, very soon.

Thanks for the help!

I've an i7 "Haswell" 4771 and I use for all FLAGS (CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, FFLAGS and FCFLAGS) : "-march=native -O2 -pipe"

To see the active flags i use this script:

echo 'int main(){return 0;}' > test.c && gcc -v -Q -march=native -O2 test.c -o test && rm test.c test 

In a terminal

Then in another terminal

echo 'int main(){return 0;}' > test.c && gcc -v -Q -march=core-avx2 -O2 test.c -o test && rm test.c test 

Then with kate or gedit I can see simply the differences.

Same discussion was also for -march=core2 and -march=native; using -march=native, 2 o 3 flags or more are activated.

A secure boot enabled UEFI machine will only recognize and boot a signed medium. If you want to boot on a non-signed medium you must disable the non-secure mode.

A bit of a side track discussion to OP. But I had to ask.

Not OP's problem.

THX

Guys,

I would like to thank you all for the help.

But as I was suspecting my hardware had problems.

And I called to DELL support and they came to change my motherboard.

The problem has being solved.

Again... thank you all!

The first thing that i make with a new PC is the complete memtest !!!

because in the past I've had several times troubles with Ram modules.
I've an assembled PC .
Here in Italy many retailers offers computers with "basic" kingston memories for show  "low  with prices" .

Instead I say NO !!!!! I want the hardware is good and have medium/great quality .

For example using Boinc ( 8 CPU + 1 x nvidia gpu ) the coretemps came to exceed 100 ? C : -o

Then I've bought a water cooler.
Using the system so exasperated ( Boinc , more compilation + Movies with XBMC ) , I do not see even a lost frame .
And I compile libreoffice in RAM ( 16GiB ) using / dev / shm .
My videocard is a MSI nvidia GTX 660 and also under intensive use so far I have not seen temperatures superior to 75 ? C .
Globally, thanks to water cooling Corsair H80i, either the gpu and cores ( i7 haswell ) do not exceed 75 ? C with Heavy Hard Load.
I could put a fan ( also 2 ) as substitutes for the case to dissipate better the hot "air in the case".

And not only for ram, I test the quality using benchmarks cause if i don't have hardware stability,

it becomes difficult to understand whether hardware or software error .

Excuse my logorrhoea :)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.