funtoo forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. well, I have an update to this. I downloaded and compiled the xf86-video-vmware driver from the xorg gitlab repo (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-vmware) and copied the resulting driver into the /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers folder and it seems to be working. Both drivers report to be version 13.3.0. There still seems to be some strange behavior (it's crashed a couple of times on startup because it couldn't find an input driver?). Very odd. Xorg.0.log
  3. https://bugs.gentoo.org/672820 https://bugs.gentoo.org/672820#c3 This only happens when enabling the USE flag component-build
  4. message is "die 'Aborting due to serious QA concern with RUNPATH/RPATH" Has anyone run into this and solved it?
  5. I got you, but what I proposed is the opposite of adding more packages. Also, that new stage3 I proposed might could be unofficial and people who download this would know that it's unstable and may not secure; something like "without warranties". Although if people start doing more documentation about Funtoo it would help a lot the users, including people that likes to try different things like me.
  6. I will say that adding more packages to the base install of Funtoo would add more attack surface to the distro. My home server gets over 100 login attempts every day on the SSH port alone. Among the many reasons why I use Funtoo is that the default install is small and while it isn't completely secure by default it has a very limited number of things I must lock down when I do an install. Could it be easier to use? Yes, it could...but it could also be far less secure by default. In my opinion the best way to make Funtoo easier to use (especially to those who are new to it) is to have those people with the most knowledge of the "Best Practices" write more documentation for Funtoo. On the other hand, it's those same people who are currently writing our bug fixes and feature improvements for the distro. It's a "Catch 22" in that regard.
  7. Some few days ago I knew about CloverOS that's basically Gentoo with more packages installed by default, with custom config files and also highly optimized with a bunch of flags to compile programs by the most optimized way. This caught my attention so I checked their packages and I saw that the CloverOS guys disable some flags that may break some specific packages, which is nice! Also some few days ago I knew about GentooLTO, that's an overlay for optimizing the compilation of packages. I like to try new things, so I tried GentooLTO with Funtoo on virtualbox but I got a bad news that GentooLTO doesn't work properly on Funtoo. With those discoveries about the Gentoo world, I got myself thinking about if Funtoo had a stage3 with the suckless philosophy, minimal (this is, no custom config files and without a lot of packages installed by default, unlike CloverOS do, unfortunately; only the core as Funtoo's stage3 do), without "bloat" or "bad" (or maybe unnecessary) packages (as CloverOS do by not using systemd, pulseaudio, dbus, avahi and nls), with LibreSSL instead OpenSSL (and also with musl instead glibc if possible), and configured to compile programs to be the most optimized as possible. Well, I'm a young man, I started using Linux about 5 months ago (and I started using Funtoo about 4 months ago) so I have no much experience to do all things I want on my Funtoo system. So I would like (and I think that many other people also would do) if someone that also liked theses ideas make a stage3 with theses "features". This is only an idea to try to make Funtoo more "cozy" to different kinds of people, I hope you guys liked it.
  8. Last week
  9. I remember doing something like that but I've tried so many things that I can't remember. Just to be clear, it uses the vmware driver...or it tries to and then segfaults . If I move the vmware driver out of the way, it uses modeset and works fine. I added those lines and did an emerge --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y -q -j3 @world. It rebuilt x11-drivers/xf86-input-vmmouse-13.1.0-r1 to and x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.20. I then rebooted and tried startx again with the same results. Thank you for the suggestion.
  10. Have you include this in your make.conf file before? VIDEO_CARDS="vmware" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse synaptics vmmouse" If not doit then update your system whit your new make file. emerge -auvDN --with-bdeps=y @world And we'll see how it goes.
  11. I should have included that information in the original post. Sorry about that. I have not created an xorg.conf file. I am letting it autodetect. I am attaching text files with the information requested. emerge-info.txt lspci.txt
  12. Hi, did you make a xorg.conf file? Can you paste the output. lspci -k and the emerge --info please...
  13. Yeah, this time I could emerge networkamanager (that needs crda) without problems; but I did the same steps as the last time I tried (the only difference is that this time I ran it on virtualbox 6 instead 5).
  14. Ok, I'wll try again. Last time my computer (it uses windows 10) just rebooted at the middle of a @world emerging...
  15. Add qt-creator-4.8.2.ebuild to your local overlay or make a request at bugs.funtoo.org I have USE="-bindist" disabled globally in /etc/portage/make.conf funtoo /usr/local/portage/dev-qt/qt-creator # emerge -av qt-creator These are the packages that would be merged, in order: Calculating dependencies... done! [ebuild N ] media-libs/opus-1.3::media-kit USE="-custom-modes -doc -static-libs" CPU_FLAGS_X86="sse" 1,009 KiB [ebuild N ] dev-libs/re2-0.2018.10.01:0/gentoo-2017-03-01::dev-kit USE="icu" 383 KiB [ebuild N ] dev-libs/nss-3.43::dev-kit USE="nss-pem -cacert -utils" 22,917 KiB [ebuild N ] dev-libs/botan-2.8.0:2/2.8::dev-kit USE="bzip2 python ssl zlib -bindist -boost -doc -libressl -lzma -sqlite -static-libs" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6 -python3_4 -python3_5" 0 KiB [ebuild N ] sys-devel/gdb-8.2-r1::nokit USE="client nls python server xml -lzma -multitarget -test -vanilla" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6 -python2_7 -python3_4 -python3_5" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6 -python3_4 -python3_5" 19,709 KiB [ebuild R ] media-libs/libvpx-1.7.0:0/5::media-kit USE="highbitdepth postproc svc* threads -doc -static-libs -test" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 -avx -avx2 -sse4_1" 0 KiB [ebuild N ] app-arch/snappy-1.1.7:0/1::nokit USE="(-static-libs) -test" 1,065 KiB [ebuild N ] sys-libs/libomp-7.0.1_rc2::llvm-kit USE="-cuda -hwloc -offload -ompt -test" 888 KiB [ebuild N ] dev-qt/qtsql-5.11.2:5/5.11.2::core-ui-kit USE="sqlite -debug -freetds -mysql -oci8 -odbc -postgres -test" 0 KiB [ebuild N ] dev-qt/qtconcurrent-5.11.2:5/5.11::core-ui-kit USE="-debug -test" 0 KiB [ebuild N ] dev-qt/qtscript-5.11.2:5/5.11::core-ui-kit USE="jit -debug -scripttools -test" 2,599 KiB [ebuild N ] sys-devel/clang-7.0.1_rc2:7::llvm-kit USE="static-analyzer xml -debug -default-compiler-rt (-default-libcxx) -doc -test (-z3)" LLVM_TARGETS="AMDGPU BPF NVPTX (X86) -AArch64 -ARM -Hexagon -Lanai -MSP430 -Mips -PowerPC -Sparc -SystemZ -XCore" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 13,076 KiB [ebuild N ] sys-devel/clang-common-7.0.1_rc2::llvm-kit 0 KiB [ebuild N ] sys-libs/compiler-rt-7.0.1_rc2:7.0.1::llvm-kit USE="clang -test" 1,821 KiB [ebuild N ] sys-libs/compiler-rt-sanitizers-7.0.1_rc2:7.0.1::llvm-kit USE="clang -test" 0 KiB [ebuild N ] sys-devel/clang-runtime-7.0.1_rc2:7.0.1::llvm-kit USE="compiler-rt openmp sanitize -crt -libcxx" 0 KiB [ebuild N ] dev-qt/qtprintsupport-5.11.2:5/5.11::core-ui-kit USE="cups -debug -gles2 -test" 0 KiB [ebuild N ] dev-qt/qthelp-5.11.2:5/5.11::core-ui-kit USE="-debug -test" 0 KiB [ebuild N ] dev-qt/qtquickcontrols-5.11.2:5/5.11::core-ui-kit USE="widgets -debug -test" 5,906 KiB [ebuild N ] dev-qt/designer-5.11.2:5/5.11::core-ui-kit USE="-debug -declarative -test -webkit" 0 KiB [ebuild N ] dev-qt/qtwebchannel-5.11.2:5/5.11::core-ui-kit USE="qml -debug -test" 170 KiB [ebuild N ] dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.11.2:5/5.11::core-ui-kit USE="alsa jumbo-build system-ffmpeg widgets -bindist -debug -designer -geolocation -pax_kernel -pulseaudio (-system-icu) -test" 228,167 KiB [ebuild N ] dev-qt/qt-creator-4.8.2::rj USE="clang designer help ios python webengine -android -autotools -baremetal -bazaar -clearcase -cmake -cppcheck -cvs -doc -git -glsl -lsp -mercurial -modeling -nim -perforce -qbs -qnx -scxml -serialterminal -silversearcher -subversion -systemd -test -valgrind -winrt" L10N="-cs -da -de -fr -ja -pl -ru -sl -uk -zh-CN -zh-TW" 0 KiB Total: 23 packages (22 new, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 297,706 KiB The following USE changes are necessary to proceed: (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details) # required by dev-qt/qt-creator-4.8.2::rj[help,webengine] # required by qt-creator (argument) >=dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.11.2 widgets # required by dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.11.2::core-ui-kit # required by dev-qt/qt-creator-4.8.2::rj[help,webengine] # required by qt-creator (argument) >=dev-qt/qtwebchannel-5.11.2 qml # required by dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.11.2::core-ui-kit # required by dev-qt/qt-creator-4.8.2::rj[help,webengine] # required by qt-creator (argument) >=media-libs/libvpx-1.7.0 svc Would you like to add these changes to your config files? [Yes/No]
  16. Hello I have been trying to install qt creator but I get These are the packages that would be merged, in order: Calculating dependencies... done! emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "<dev-libs/openssl-1.1:0=[bindist=]". (dependency required by "dev-libs/botan-1.10.17-r2::dev-kit" [ebuild]) (dependency required by "dev-qt/qt-creator-9999::core-ui-kit" [ebuild]) (dependency required by "dev-qt/qt-creator" [argument]) Thanks for your help Regards
  17. net-wireless/crda-3.18-r2 installs fine with libressl It would be easier to judge your statements if you would give more information about your system and the error messages you get.
  18. I was testing using LibreSSL and other things (like Liquorix kenerl, musl, gentooLTO, etc) on my Funtoo in a virtualbox and I experienced some emake fails and another issues. So I decided to try install each thing at a time instead mixing and trying all at the same time. So I tried first to install LibreSSL following the Funtoo's tutorial and was a success, but when I tried to install networkmanager occurred an emake fail with the net-wireless/crda package. I saw that this package has a libressl flag, I suspect that libressl makes it fail. I also experienced some emake fails early when I tried to install musl; seems that theses packages causes a lot of problems, or I might be too newbie to try these advanced things.
  19. I've been having a problem recently with my Funtoo VM (VMware for Windows host). When I run startx with the vmware video driver installed, I get a segfault such as the following: [ 326.599] (II) vmware(0): Initialized VMWARE_CTRL extension version 0.2 [ 326.599] (II) vmware(0): Initialized VMware Xinerama extension. [ 326.599] (II) vmware(0): vgaHWGetIOBase: hwp->IOBase is 0x03d0 [ 326.600] (EE) vmware(0): Unable to map mmio BAR. Invalid argument (22) [ 326.607] (EE) vmware(0): Unable to map frame buffer BAR. Invalid argument (22) [ 326.607] (EE) [ 326.607] (EE) Backtrace: [ 326.607] (EE) 0: Xorg (xorg_backtrace+0x4d) [0x555a895894cd] [ 326.607] (EE) 1: Xorg (0x555a893e3000+0x1aa199) [0x555a8958d199] [ 326.607] (EE) 2: /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x7f61c95c4000+0x14ab0) [0x7f61c95d8ab0] [ 326.607] (EE) 3: /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x7f61c93fa000+0x16a82d) [0x7f61c956482d] [ 326.607] (EE) 4: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/vmware_drv.so (0x7f61ca984000+0x6e9b) [0x7f61ca98ae9b] [ 326.607] (EE) 5: Xorg (AddScreen+0xd7) [0x555a8943a417] [ 326.608] (EE) 6: Xorg (InitOutput+0x3fe) [0x555a89479e6e] [ 326.608] (EE) 7: Xorg (0x555a893e3000+0x5af7f) [0x555a8943df7f] [ 326.608] (EE) 8: /lib64/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xe7) [0x7f61c941bbe7] [ 326.608] (EE) 9: Xorg (_start+0x2a) [0x555a89427dea] [ 326.608] (EE) [ 326.608] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x0 [ 326.608] (EE) Fatal server error: [ 326.608] (EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting [ 326.608] (EE) [ 326.608] (EE) Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support at http://wiki.x.org for help. [ 326.608] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information. [ 326.608] (EE) [ 326.613] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file. If I uninstall xf86-video-vmware or just move the driver file to a different name, the X11 starts up and uses the modeset driver and seems to work ok. Because I can get it to work with modeset, this is really a minor issue but it bugs me that I can't use the vmware driver. I've searched several times for hints on how to fix this but I am at a loss. I've tried various kernel versions (4.19.2-gentoo, 4.20.0-gentoo, 4.9.168_p1 from debian LTS and 5.0.0-pf2) and I've played around with USE flags to the point that I don't remember everything I have done. In addition, I followed an article I found on how to get a good stacktrace so my system is currently built with the FEATURES="splitdebug" variable set in make.conf. So I've got a full gdb backtrace also which I will post at the end. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am definitely in over my head on this problem. Again, it's a minor issue. gdb-bt-full.txt
  20. Earlier
  21. Do you have an NVIDIA card? When i have the opengl set to nvidia i just got a black screen. I have to change it to xorg.
  22. So i just fixed.... Dont feel proud about it but... Just hit me that maybe thats was not the right aproach, so just ask google diferent way and.. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=243743 just install emerge -av sys-apps/haveged rc-update add haveged default and thats it... just fix it....
  23. So this is strange... I just install funtoo in my Lenovo Y700 whit KDE and everything was running fine just have uno minor issue, the boot time netmount and networkmanager they just stop for a few seconds, then it resume my boot and that was it. First i just did this in the /etc/rc.conf rc_hotplug="!net.*" And it did the job then i was installing acpi, laptop for power manager, configuring the nvidia driver, trying to get working with the intel driver too. Everything was Ok but then I notice that the boot process just stop and I have to hit a key (any key) to resume the boot process, just like that. The first thing that y did was to remove services from the RC first the netmount, then the networkmanager then the acpi, laptop, ssh and nothing work, just at the end i have to hit any kit and the sddm show up. i dont know why i just try to install bootchart to try to understandit but i coudnt make it work. put the interactive mode whit RC and like i am hit a key just boot up ok. this is the rc.log rc sysinit logging started at Tue Jun 11 09:39:53 2019 OpenRC 0.40.2 is starting up Funtoo Linux (x86_64) Press I to enter interactive boot mode * /proc is already mounted * Mounting /run ... * /run/openrc: creating directory * /run/lock: creating directory * /run/lock: correcting owner * Caching service dependencies ... [ ok ] * Caching service dependencies ... [ ok ] * Clock skew detected with `(null)' * Adjusting mtime of `/run/openrc/deptree' to Tue Jun 11 16:34:11 2019 * WARNING: clock skew detected! * Mounting security filesystem ... [ ok ] * Mounting debug filesystem ... [ ok ] * Mounting config filesystem ... [ ok ] * Mounting persistent storage (pstore) filesystem ... [ ok ] * Mounting efivarfs filesystem ... [ ok ] * Mounting cgroup filesystem ... [ ok ] * Remounting devtmpfs on /dev ... [ ok ] * Mounting /dev/mqueue ... [ ok ] * Mounting /dev/shm ... [ ok ] * Creating list of required static device nodes for the current kernel ... [ ok ] * /etc/init.d/udev uses runscript, please convert to openrc-run. * Starting udev ... [ ok ] * Generating a rule to create a /dev/root symlink ... [ ok ] * Populating /dev with existing devices through uevents ... [ ok ] * Waiting for uevents to be processed ... [ ok ] rc sysinit logging stopped at Tue Jun 11 09:39:53 2019 rc boot logging started at Tue Jun 11 09:39:53 2019 * WARNING: clock skew detected! * Loading module coretemp ... * Failed to load coretemp [ !! ] * Loading kernel modules ... modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': Module already in kernel [ ok ] * Setting system clock using the hardware clock [Local Time] ... [ ok ] * The binfmt-misc module needs to be loaded by the modules service or built in. * Mounting misc binary format filesystem ... [ ok ] * Loading custom binary format handlers ... [ ok ] * Checking local filesystems ... /sbin/fsck.xfs: XFS file system. fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24) /dev/sda1: 583 files, 20884/127746 clusters [ ok ] * Remounting root filesystem read/write ... [ ok ] * Remounting filesystems ... [ ok ] * Updating /etc/mtab ... * Creating mtab symbolic link [ ok ] * Activating swap devices ... [ ok ] * Mounting local filesystems ... [ ok ] * Configuring kernel parameters ... [ ok ] * Creating user login records ... [ ok ] * Wiping /tmp directory ... [ ok ] * Configuring /etc/hosts ... [ ok ] * Setting hostname to SykLPC ... [ ok ] * Setting terminal encoding [UTF-8] ... [ ok ] * Setting keyboard mode [UTF-8] ... [ ok ] * Loading key mappings [la-latin1] ... [ ok ] * Bringing up network interface lo ... [ ok ] * Saving key mapping ... [ ok ] * Saving terminal encoding ... [ ok ] * Initializing random number generator ... [ ok ] rc boot logging stopped at Tue Jun 11 16:39:54 2019 rc default logging started at Tue Jun 11 16:39:55 2019 * WARNING: clock skew detected! * Starting dbus ... [ ok ] * Starting metalog ... [ ok ] * Starting consolekit ... [ ok ] * Starting NetworkManager ... [ ok ] Conectando..... 1sConectando...... 1sConectando....... 1sConectando........ 1sConectando......... 1sConectando.......... 1sConectando..........$ * Marking NetworkManager as inactive. It will automatically be marked * as started after a network connection has been established. * WARNING: NetworkManager has started, but is inactive * Starting acpid ... [ ok ] * No bootchart process found! * This script does not start bootchart, but only schedules its termination. * Bootchart should be started from the kernel command line. * Please check the README on how to do that. [ ok ] * Starting cupsd ... [ ok ] * Starting laptop_mode ... [ ok ] * Initializing sensors ... [ ok ] * WARNING: netmount will start when NetworkManager has started * Starting sshd ... [ ok ] * Starting thermald ... [ ok ] * Setting up sddm ... [ ok ] * Starting local ... [ ok ] rc default logging stopped at Tue Jun 11 16:40:23 2019 Any clues?
  24. Hi i just install Funtoo pretty much like your specs. I got a lenovo y700 laptop. M.2 with windows, and a SSD with funtoo. I use grub uefi and from there i choose between Windows or Funtoo. Got the Nvidia 960M Installed KDE. Grub was easy to install just following the instructions, just a little resarch to integrate Windows. KDE is a little bit tricky the lock screen doesnt let me get back to my session but whit a chmod get working fine. The pain is the Nvidia, the y700 works with an hybrid graphics intel and nvidia and i cant make them work properly. Actualy if i choose OpenGL nvidia instead of xorg, sddm doesnt take me to my Desktop, don't know why i am working on it... Saludos...
  25. See https://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-6429
  26. I was installing Funtoo on VirtualBox and when I did the "ego sync" command occured an error while syncing on nokit branch saying "ERROR: There was an error syncing gnome-kit." Yesterday I ran the same command but there was no error... Is it an repository error or an error from my system?
  1. Load more activity