Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Funtoo slow in my netbook :(

gnew

Question

Personally, I have an Asus X102BA netbook is a pretty simple netbook I know. But I install Funtoo in it, with i3 only and a terminal emulator, and it's pretty slow with the i3 open. In tty everything is fine ... the video card is a Radeon HD 8180G I know it was not to stay fast but using other systems I notice a big difference. Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

6 answers to this question

Funtoo is software rendering because you haven't built the MESA radeonsi hardware rendering driver:

> [  1964.602] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so failed (/usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
> [  1964.603] (EE) AIGLX error: unable to load driver radeonsi

58 minutes ago, drobbins said:

My first guess would be slow video drivers. You need to be more specific though -- what part of the system is "slow"? Video? Disk? CPU? I know it may seem slow overall but you need to be specific if you want some assistance ?

Of course, I've been making some comparisons. I put a Debian next to Funtoo, the Radeon driver used is the same in its version: 2.49.0. An example of what is happening is that the video seems to be loopy to open or change applications. The use of CPU / Memory seems very similar between systems. But the video response difference is great. To switch screens on i3 for example, I have a delay of almost 1.5 seconds. Being that Debian with the same features works very fast. Could it be something related to openrc? How could I debug this "lag" in the video inside i3? Remembering that both systems are totally clean. Only with xorg, i3 and few applications.
Thank you for you time and help.

Just now, jhan said:

Have you compared the xorg logs of both systems to see if there is a difference?

I compared xorgs files.. but I did not identify the problem.
I am sending two video files to show the difference.
First Video ( Debian ) / Second Video ( Funtoo )
On the funtoo, it's giving this delay to screen changes or anything refreshing to video with i3.

##################################################################
diff xorg.debian xorg.funtoo > i sending file xorg
xorg

Just now, jhan said:

On first glance I didn't see a major difference in the diff. But even such small differences as the different kernel versions can be important. There seem to be also some other version differences between the systems.

If you want to identify the problem further you could use glxinfo and glxgears (package mesa-progs for funtoo) to do that.

glxinfo gives you a lot of  information about the opengl part and with glxgears you can see if there is a greater difference in the framerate.

Incredibly in Funtoo it gave in average of 109fps, already in Debian 60fps. But, there was an error when I ran glxgears in Funtoo: Unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so ...

photo_2019-01-13_21-17-14.jpg

photo_2019-01-13_21-17-19.jpg

photo_2019-01-13_21-19-43.jpg

photo_2019-01-13_21-19-46.jpg

Just now, cardinal said:

Funtoo is software rendering because you haven't built the MESA radeonsi hardware rendering driver:

> [  1964.602] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so failed (/usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
> [  1964.603] (EE) AIGLX error: unable to load driver radeonsi

It really was the radeonsi's fault. I added a FLAG VIDEO_CARDS = "radeon radeonsi". So I realized the:
emerge -auDN @world
and stayed show!
Many thanks to all for the strength.