Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

How to get a package added to Funtoo

Ghent

Question

I have been maintaining an ebuild for a package locally for some time now.  I was wondering what the process was for adding this to the official Funtoo portage and being the maintainer for it?

The software in question is Plex Media Server.  Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Oleg,

Thank you for the response.  I was wondering if you might provide a bit more detail?  Should I open a ticket via bugs and attach the ebuilds?  Or zip up the entire overlay and attach?  Or some other method?

Thank you.

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

If you have the ebuilds in an overlay, and you are maintaining them, the best way to integrate them into Funtoo is for us to add them to our automatic merge scripts. This will ensure that that latest versions of your ebuilds are included in the Portage tree. You just continue to commit to your overlay as normal, and they get merged into Funtoo.

I'd recommed that approach.

Do your ebuilds replace ones already in Gentoo/Funtoo with better versions, or are they not in Gentoo/Funtoo?

-Daniel

If you have the ebuilds in an overlay, and you are maintaining them, the best way to integrate them into Funtoo is for us to add them to our automatic merge scripts. This will ensure that that latest versions of your ebuilds are included in the Portage tree. You just continue to commit to your overlay as normal, and they get merged into Funtoo.

I'd recommed that approach.

Do your ebuilds replace ones already in Gentoo/Funtoo with better versions, or are they not in Gentoo/Funtoo?

-Daniel

I don't believe they're in Funtoo/Gentoo.  The overlays I found seem to be externally maintained in layman.  But, I'm pretty new to this whole process, so perhaps that qualifies them as being included.

I'm not sure how well maintained the others are, but I use Plex everyday and maintain my installation quite voraciously.

Here's my github repo:

https://github.com/Ghent/funtoo-plex