Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Cleanly upgrade a Funtoo - workstation

NikosAlexandris

Question

I am trying to upgrade a Funtoo - workstation (completely irrelevant with http://forums.funtoo.org/index.php?/topic/82-zfs-pool-not-imported-at-boot-home-inaccessible/),

uname -a
Linux Resilience 3.2.41-2 #1 SMP Tue Dec 10 21:50:32 EET 2013 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

via

emerge -uavDN @world

Despite numerous attempts (providing suggested USE flags, masking packages or, even, removing some of the packages that appear to block the process), I always get something like the following as a response:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy ">=net-libs/webkit-gtk-1.6:3=" has unmet requirements.
- net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.4.3::gentoo USE="X egl geoloc gstreamer jit opengl webgl (-aqua) -coverage -debug -gles2 -introspection -libsecret -spell -test -wayland"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    geoloc? ( introspection )

The above constraints are a subset of the following complete expression:
    geoloc? ( introspection ) introspection? ( gstreamer ) gles2? ( egl ) webgl? ( exactly-one-of ( gles2 opengl ) ) !webgl? ( at-most-one-of ( gles2 opengl ) ) any-of ( aqua wayland X )

(dependency required by "net-libs/libproxy-0.4.11-r2[webkit]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "net-libs/glib-networking-2.40.1-r1[libproxy]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "net-libs/libsoup-2.46.0-r1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "media-plugins/gst-plugins-soup-0.10.31-r1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "media-libs/phonon-gstreamer-4.7.2[network]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "media-libs/phonon-4.7.2[gstreamer]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "kde-base/kdelibs-4.13.2-r1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "kde-base/khelpcenter-4.13.2" [ebuild])

How can I cleanly upgrade the system to a newer kernel, latest versions of packages (incl. ZFS support), without breaking it?  I already removed udev and upower, and emerged eudev and upower-pm-utils.

I am willing to remove all packages mentioned above, that seem to block the update process, and re-emerge them later. How wrong can it be to unmerge, for example, kdelibs?

3 answers to this question

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

What the output is telling you is that webkit-gtk requires "introspection" in USE if "geoloc" is also in USE. Since "geoloc" is in USE, you need to add "introspection".

If you have enountered this issue without doing anything special with custom USE variables, it may consitute a bug and should be reported to bugs.funtoo.org, and we can investigate.

I can't say it's easy. I've been trying the suggested flags but I get blockers and other problems as well. I decided to go the hard way.  Meaning, I remove anything that blocks and mask anything that isn't installed but still seems to block the update process.  So far, I've removed many packages which, however, are related to kde applications and other tools that are not directly bound to the system (me thinks at least).

Currently, I have a problem with cblas-reference which fails during the compile phase. Will post details (from the machine to-be-updated as soon as time permits).