Forums in Read-Only Mode - Please use Reddit ×

Respectfully and regards

The unexpected but expected news about the end of the Funtoo Linux project took us by surprise.

My small working infrastructure of a software developer and linux user is tied to Funtoo. For a while I will be able to maintain it on my own, thanks to the experience I have gained over the last 16 years. But there are some hard choices ahead.

I'm sadly, as I'm used to Funtoo's endemic approach and tools. It has not been a bad 16 years.

I hope that the repositories with tools will not be deleted and the web-site with documentation will survive long enough to help users. What is BDFL's opinion on this?

@drobbins thx for the Funtoo

Edited by tmnhy

I've not used Funtoo or anything Gentoo-based in years, but it did help shape me as a Linux user. I started my Linux journey with Mandrake 9.x on a 233 MHz Pentium II back in the late 90s/early 2000s which was my DC++/Direct Connect hub server machine, followed by various bouts with Ubuntu flavors, Funtoo after that, Void after I got tired of Funtoo for that moment, and now I've landed on Arch Linux. I'm very comfortable on Arch, and it's all thanks to Funtoo and indirectly Gentoo as well. @drobbinsThanks for helping me learn how Linux works. I'll forever be grateful to you and your team of volunteers. I assume you're ending Funtoo to concentrate on Moccachino OS? I know you merged Funtoo's base with Sabayon and you and the Sabayon developer started developing a new, more containerized distro called Moccachino OS. If that's true, once it's in a stable state I'll gladly try it out. I have several test machines that I could play with it on.

Regards,
Shiggitay

Edited by shiggitay

It is sad.  But I understand.

Perhaps (I hope), the funtoo community can arrange something to keep a community run funtoo going.

... I had only just got back into funtoo in the past year.  Oh well.

I'm so sorry to see this.  Funtoo has been the perfect distro for me for ten years now and I truly appreciate all that @drobbins and the other project members have done to develop and maintain it.  But time is the only truly non-renewable resource.  If it doesn't make you happy or pay the bills then you're right to move on.

Wishing you all the best in whatever comes next.

Iam sad. I have been used funtoo since 2017.  I hope you find someone to keep the projekt alive. But from some time your small team was unable to keep packages up to date and maintained bugs. I will wait to end of august. And if nothing positive happens migrate to Vanilla Linnux