Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

<sys-apps/shadow-4.7-r2 is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.38.1

gigabot3457

Question

I am updating a system that has gone about 6 months since last update.  At some point binutils got hosed and I overwrote things with the stage3 tar file, to get out of that.  I am almost back up, but util-linux is an issue and it is blocked by a version of a package that does not exist in my repo.

The title says it, I have sys-apps/util-linux-2.38.1 installed and sys-apps/shadow 4.7-r1 installed.  Portage is telling me that without shadow 4.7-r2, it cannot go on.  I just did an ego sync and I do not have a shadow newer than what is already installed.  I suspect there is a way out of this, but I am not finding it.

I also cannot compile spidermonkey >v68 and have some issues with harfbuzz and the later version of Meson, but those are other issues that I will post separately if they persist.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by gigabot3457
corrected binutils from bintuls

10 answers to this question

On my original issue, I ended up editing the ebuild for util-linux and changing the r2 to r1 on the shadow requirement for su.  Recreated the manifest and I have gone on mostly fine.  70 packages to go in rebuilding world, but I think we can close this issue, for me, at least.  Thanks for the help and advice.

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

@gigabot3457 when you have a messed-up system, it can be useful to just repeatedly emerge -auDN @world and gradually things will get in better shape. You can temporarily --exclude packages that are not yet building to get other parts in place.

Funtoo next-release newest versions are util-linux- 2.38.1 and shadow-4.7-r1

https://code.funtoo.org/bitbucket/projects/AUTO/repos/core-kit/browse/sys-apps/util-linux?at=refs%2Fheads%2Fnext

https://code.funtoo.org/bitbucket/projects/AUTO/repos/core-kit/browse/sys-apps/shadow?at=refs%2Fheads%2Fnext

In order to stop the error you need to find and remove the rogue ebuild creating the block.

Edited by cardinal
grammar

There is no e2fsprogs ebuild at the moment.

Once this is sorted out a new ebuild will be pushed to portage.

sys-fs/e2fsprogs autogen is broken

Workaround is to use git to restore removed e2fsprogs-1.46.5.ebuild and Manifest :

cd /var/git/meta-repo/kits/core-kit/
sudo git checkout 3eca7^ -- sys-fs/e2fsprogs/{e2fsprogs-1.46.5.ebuild,Manifest}
sudo emerge -1av e2fsprogs

Exclude is probably what I was trying to remember and could not.  The downside to not having too many issues is these things leave my realm of recollection.  Just got back up after having my mobo die for reasons shortly after my last response and still trying to get a drive change to work as I want.  Just did an ego sync and will work through the blocking packages in emerge -auDN @world.  Things are in a lot better shape and the Next update is overall going much better than 1.4 did for me.  Honestly, I shot myself in the foot when binutils did not fully install and thought I would just extract the latest tarball, completely forgetting that /etc was mounted, not backed up recently and rather complex. I think my old mobo just died from the 1,000 reboots as I sorted all of that out. I appreciate the help and it does help a lot, because I really was not sure how to go about getting around it.  End up just building trees of packages until they hit a stopping point.  Meson seems to be them breaking old functionality to match their documented functionality and a bunch of Gnome packages not changing to match the documented function, yet.  Possibly they're unmaintained now. Sometimes I just have to switch between Python version and rebuild to get something to work.  Anyway, now that I am 98% working, I will just mess around some more this weekend on it.  Thanks again.

[ebuild     U  ] sys-devel/binutils-2.36.1_p3-r1:2.36::core-kit [2.36.1_p3:2.36::core-kit] USE="gold nls plugins -64-bit-bfd -cet -default-gold -doc -multitarget -static-libs -test -vanilla" 0 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] sys-libs/binutils-libs-2.36.1_p3-r1::core-kit [2.36.1_p3::core-kit] 0 KiB
[blocks b      ] <sys-libs/binutils-libs-2.36.1_p3-r1 ("<sys-libs/binutils-libs-2.36.1_p3-r1" is blocking sys-devel/binutils-2.36.1_p3-r1)

Well I got to this point and I am cross-eyed.  I do not feel good about trying to unmerge binutils.  Maybe the exclude will help here.  I will look at it later.  Thanks again.

I made a couple steps forward and then hit a complaint about sys-fs/e2fsprogs blocking.  Thinking I could get around it by removing e2fsprogs and just installing the new version, I removed the package.  But upon trying to reinstall/update it, I have found that sys-fs/e2fsprogs no longer exist in the tree and I cannot install anything because the package is uninstallable.  More I am just wonder if anyone else can confirm this.  Tomorrow I will fire up a VM and install Funtoo on it, see if I hit a similar issue.  Starting to wonder if this install is just cursed.  Sorry for the numerous messages.

emerge sys-fs/e2fsprogs
/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/portage/package/ebuild/_config/KeywordsManager.py:140: UserWarning: /etc/portage/package.keywords is deprecated, use /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords instead
  warnings.warn(_("%s is deprecated, use %s instead") %
Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "sys-fs/e2fsprogs".

emerge: searching for similar names...
emerge: Maybe you meant any of these: sys-fs/xfsprogs, sys-fs/reiserfsprogs, sys-fs/btrfs-progs?

Fresh install seems to be the same:

Sync successful and kits in alignment! :)
livecd / # emerge -s e2fs
[ Results for search key : e2fs ]
Searching...

*  app-xemacs/efs
      Latest version available: 1.37
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 369 KiB
      Homepage:      http://xemacs.org/
      Description:   Treat files on remote systems the same as local files
      License:       GPL-2+

*  sys-fs/e2fsprogs
      Latest version installed: 1.46.5
      Homepage:      http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/
      Description:   Standard EXT2/EXT3/EXT4 filesystem utilities
      License:       GPL-2 BSD

*  sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs
      Latest version installed: 1.46.5
      Homepage:      http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/
      Description:   e2fsprogs libraries (common error and subsystem)
      License:       GPL-2

[ Applications found : 3 ]

livecd / # emerge -1 sys-fs/e2fsprogs

livecd / # emerge -1 sys-fs/e2fsprogs

livecd / #

I tried twice, just because I am still not entirely positive I am just not making a typo.