Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

You don't appear to have the mysql database installed yet

quantum

Question

I am trying to activate my mariadb database. After installting mariadb:

[ebuild   R    ] dev-db/mariadb-10.4.6:0/18::core-server-kit  USE="server -backup -bindist -client-libs -cracklib -debug -extraengine -galera -innodb-lz4 -innodb-lzo -innodb-snappy -jdbc -jemalloc -kerberos -latin1 -libressl -mroonga -numa -odbc -oqgraph -pam -perl -profiling -rocksdb (-selinux) -sphinx -sst-mariabackup -sst-rsync -static -systemd -systemtap -tcmalloc -test -tokudb -xml -yassl" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] virtual/mysql-5.6-r12:0/18::core-server-kit  USE="server -embedded -static" 0 KiB

After the installtion I wrote:

emerge --config =dev-db/mariadb-10.4.6

and i got:

Configuring pkg...

* Trying to get password for mysql 'root' user from 'mysql' section ...
/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mariadb-10.4.6/temp/environment: line 4365: usr/libexec/mariadb/my_print_defaults: No such file or directory
 * Trying to get password for mysql 'root' user from 'client' section ...
/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mariadb-10.4.6/temp/environment: line 4365: usr/libexec/mariadb/my_print_defaults: No such file or directory
 * Please provide a password for the mysql 'root'@'localhost' user now
 * or through the /root/.my.cnf file.
 * Avoid ["'\_%] characters in the password
 * Not entering a password defaults to UNIX authentication
    >
 * Retype the password
    >
 * Creating the mysql database and setting proper permissions on it ...
 * Command: usr/bin/mysql_install_db --basedir=/usr --loose-skip-grant-tables --loose-skip-host-cache --loose-skip-name-resolve --loose-skip-networking --loose-skip-slave-start --loose-skip-ssl --loose-skip-log-bin --loose-skip-relay-log --loose-skip-slow-query-log --loose-skip-external-locking --loose-skip-log-slave-updates --datadir=//var/lib/mysql --tmpdir=/
 * ERROR: dev-db/mariadb-10.4.6::core-server-kit failed (config phase):
 *   Failed to initialize mysqld. Please review /var/log/mysql/mysqld.err AND /var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mariadb-10.4.6/temp/mysql_install_db.log
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line  93:  Called pkg_config
 *   environment, line 4492:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *           die "Failed to initialize mysqld. Please review ${EPREFIX}/var/log/mysql/mysqld.err AND ${TMPDIR}/mysql_install_db.log";
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-db/mariadb-10.4.6::core-server-kit'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-db/mariadb-10.4.6::core-server-kit'`.
!!! When you file a bug report, please include the following information:
GENTOO_VM=  CLASSPATH="" JAVA_HOME="/etc/java-config-2/current-system-vm"
JAVACFLAGS="" COMPILER=""
and of course, the output of emerge --info =mariadb-10.4.6
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mariadb-10.4.6/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mariadb-10.4.6/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mariadb-10.4.6/temp'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mariadb-10.4.6/work/mariadb-10.4.6'

The output of file /var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mariadb-10.4.6/temp/mysql_install_db.log:

sh: usr/bin/mysql_install_db: No such file or directory

On my computer I have the file mysql_install_db at a different directory: /usr/share/mariadb/scripts/mysql_install_db

Any idea how to solve this problem?

3 answers to this question