Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Can't Compile vanilla-sources Kernel

dougbmorris

Question

I just updated my @world. I want to use my kernel configuration file for compiling a new kernel.

Locke linux-4.15.0 # eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
  [1]   linux-4.12.4-keeping
  [2]   linux-4.15.0 *
Locke linux-4.15.0 # make oldconfig
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory
scripts/Makefile.host:90: recipe for target 'scripts/basic/fixdep' failed
make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
Makefile:460: recipe for target 'scripts_basic' failed
make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
Locke linux-4.15.0 #

I masked vanilla-sources-4.15.0 and tried older kernel code:

Locke linux-4.14.16 # make oldconfig
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
scripts/Makefile.host:102: recipe for target 'scripts/basic/fixdep' failed
make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
Makefile:444: recipe for target 'scripts_basic' failed
make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
Locke linux-4.14.16 #

Line 444 from Makefile is: $(Q)$(MAKE) $(build)=scripts/basic

Lines 101-2 from Makefile.host are:
$(host-csingle): $(obj)/%: $(src)/%.c FORCE
        $(call if_changed_dep,host-csingle)

Locke linux-4.14.16 # equery l -po gcc
 * Searching for gcc ...
[-P-] [M ] sys-devel/gcc-4.8.5-r1:4.8.5
[-P-] [  ] sys-devel/gcc-4.9.3-r3:4.9.3
[-P-] [M ] sys-devel/gcc-4.9.4:4.9.4
[-P-] [  ] sys-devel/gcc-5.3.0-r1:5.3.0
[IP-] [  ] sys-devel/gcc-5.4.0:5.4.0
[-P-] [M ] sys-devel/gcc-6.3.0:6.3.0
[-P-] [M-] sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0:6.4.0
[-P-] [M-] sys-devel/gcc-7.2.0:7.2.0
Locke linux-4.14.16 # emerge -s gcc

[ Results for search key : gcc ]
Searching...

...entries deleted to show only...

*  sys-devel/gcc
      Latest version available: 5.4.0
      Latest version installed: 5.4.0
      Repository:    core-kit
      Size of files: 97,103 KiB
      Homepage:      
      Description:   The GNU Compiler Collection
      License:       GPL-3+ LGPL-3+ || ( GPL-3+ libgcc libstdc++ gcc-runtime-library-exception-3.1 ) FDL-1.3+

I suppose I could try linux-debian-sources, but if I am making a fundamental user error, I certainly need to correct my understanding. I would rather just get the kernel straight from the kernel people, which is essentially why I went from gentoo to funtoo. I suspect I don't competently understand the major changes, I'm sure good changes, made to use the new portage tree or update by kit granularity. From looking online, I think my kernel problem is a 'just me' problem. Maybe the solution will be obvious to someone else.

18 answers to this question

Thanks, palica. Was not the problem. I ran the zcat command and got the exact same .config file, in same place, same result. I think it is a gcc problem. I want to install funtoo on an old box and was looking at installation instructions, also hoping for insight into my update problem. A command from the Install page is: gcc -march=native -Q --help=target | grep march, and the output (on the box with my kernel upgrade problem) is:

Locke linux-4.14.16 # gcc -march=native -Q --help=target | grep march
  -march=                             sandybridge
Locke linux-4.14.16 #

So I think the problem is with my installation of gcc. I think I will try a downgrade of gcc. At this point I have no other ideas.

Thanks, bcowan. When I run eselect, to list the modules, none of the modules are gcc (or gcc-user). I rebooted and got: '* /etc.init.d/<various> uses runscript, please convert to openrc-run.'.  I used a find-sed command I found online (find /etc/init.d -type f -exec sed -i 's/runscript/openrc-run/' {} +) after I backed up the int.d directory with cp -rpP init.d init.d.bk:  I tried revdep-rebuild and emerge @preserved-rebuild, no changes were made. To get updated at all, I updated my @world by first dropping the --with-bdeps=y and got some of the whole @world updated. Then I dropped -D and got to this point.  I just tried the @world update with the whole thing (command is below) and got an interesting message (and, yes, I appreciate the useful message, funtoo engineers; so what's it mean?):

Locke etc # emerge -uNDa --with-bdeps=y @world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

Oops! Conflicts have been encountered:

>>> xfce-extra/xfce4-power-manager-1.6.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed, wants xfce-base/xfconf:0/0=
>>> xfce-base/libxfce4ui-4.13.3:0/0::gentoo, installed, wants xfce-base/xfconf:0/0=
>>> xfce-base/xfce4-panel-4.13.1:0/0::xfce-kit, ebuild scheduled for merge, wants >=xfce-base/xfconf-4.13:=

My candidates are:

>>> xfce-base/xfconf-4.12.1:0/0::gentoo, installed has SLOT 0/0
>>> xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4:0/3::xfce-kit, ebuild scheduled for merge has SLOT 0/3

We hope this informational output has been useful in identifying the
problem. We are continually working to reduce conflicts. Do not
hesitate to report a bug at https://bugs.funtoo.org. Thank you! :)

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=dev-libs/nss-3.34.1".
(dependency required by "www-client/firefox-58.0.1::net-kit" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "@selected" [set])
(dependency required by "@world" [argument])
Locke etc #

Because of the X11 depreciation, I switched from XFCE to XLDE. There's more than one good desktop for Gnu/Linux. xfce-base/xfconf was not in my /var/lib/portage/world file. I unmerged (-C) it and all the xfce stuff in my world. Did the full strength @world update and as directed did the emerge @preserved-rebuild. I am using Firefox 52.6.0 now, which is fine I think.  Running the last two commands provides some info. I wonder if I could use perl-cleaner somehow?

Locke doug # emerge @preserved-rebuild

>>> Verifying ebuild manifests

>>> Emerging (1 of 8) xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4::xfce-kit
 * xfconf-4.13.4.tar.bz2 SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                                                          [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking xfconf-4.13.4.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/work
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/work/xfconf-4.13.4 ...
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/work/xfconf-4.13.4 ...
 * econf: updating xfconf-4.13.4/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
 * econf: updating xfconf-4.13.4/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
./configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/xfconf-4.13.4 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/xfconf-4.13.4/html --libdir=/usr/lib64 --disable-perl-bindings --disable-checks --with-perl-options=INSTALLDIRS=vendor
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/lib/portage/python3.4/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking whether UID '250' is supported by ustar format... yes
checking whether GID '250' is supported by ustar format... yes
checking how to create a ustar tar archive... gnutar
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/work/xfconf-4.13.4':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/work/xfconf-4.13.4/config.log
 * ERROR: xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4::xfce-kit failed (configure phase):
 *   econf failed
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line 121:  Called src_configure
 *             environment, line 392:  Called econf '--disable-perl-bindings' '--disable-checks' '--with-perl-options=INSTALLDIRS=vendor'
 *        phase-helpers.sh, line 666:  Called __helpers_die 'econf failed'
 *   isolated-functions.sh, line 117:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *           die "$@"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4::xfce-kit'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4::xfce-kit'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/work/xfconf-4.13.4'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/work/xfconf-4.13.4'

>>> Failed to emerge xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4:

* ERROR: xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4::xfce-kit failed (configure phase):
 *   econf failed
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line 121:  Called src_configure
 *             environment, line 392:  Called econf '--disable-perl-bindings' '--disable-checks' '--with-perl-options=INSTALLDIRS=vendor'
 *        phase-helpers.sh, line 666:  Called __helpers_die 'econf failed'
 *   isolated-functions.sh, line 117:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *           die "$@"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4::xfce-kit'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4::xfce-kit'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/work/xfconf-4.13.4'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/work/xfconf-4.13.4'
Locke doug # emerge -uNDa --with-bdeps=y @world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Oops! Conflicts have been encountered:

>>> dev-cpp/libcmis-0.5.2_pre20160820-r1:0.5/0.5::gentoo, installed, wants dev-libs/boost:0/1.62.0=
>>> app-office/libreoffice-bin-5.4.2.2:0/0::kde-kit, installed, wants dev-libs/boost:0/1.62.0=
>>> dev-util/mdds-1.2.3:1/1.2::gentoo, installed, wants dev-libs/boost:0/1.62.0=
>>> dev-libs/libixion-0.12.2:0/0.12::dev-kit, installed, wants dev-libs/boost:0/1.62.0=
>>> dev-libs/liborcus-0.12.1:0/0.12::dev-kit, installed, wants dev-libs/boost:0/1.62.0=

My candidates are:

>>> dev-libs/boost-1.63.0:0/1.63.0::core-kit, ebuild scheduled for merge has SLOT 0/1.63.0
>>> dev-libs/boost-1.62.0-r1:0/1.62.0::gentoo, installed has SLOT 0/1.62.0
>>> dev-libs/boost-1.63.0:0/1.63.0::core-kit, ebuild scheduled for merge, wants =dev-util/boost-build-1.63*
>>> dev-libs/boost-1.62.0-r1:0/1.62.0::gentoo, installed, wants =dev-util/boost-build-1.62*

My candidates are:

>>> dev-util/boost-build-1.63.0:0/0::core-kit, ebuild scheduled for merge has SLOT 0/0
>>> dev-util/boost-build-1.62.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed has SLOT 0/0

We hope this informational output has been useful in identifying the
problem. We are continually working to reduce conflicts. Do not
hesitate to report a bug at https://bugs.funtoo.org. Thank you! :)

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=dev-libs/nss-3.34.1".
(dependency required by "www-client/firefox-58.0.1::net-kit" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "@selected" [set])
(dependency required by "@world" [argument])
Locke doug #

I'm pretty lost at this point. I don't think xfce stuff had anything to do with the problem because boost-build is cast into the same role. From the emerge @preserved-rebuild output, --with-perl-options=INSTALLDIRS=vendor, I wonder if perl-cleaner can be used somehow, maybe option --reallyall? I don't know what is pulling xfconf-4.13.4.  Nothing in my world is xfce, nothing! But look.

Locke doug # equery d xfconf-4.13.4
 * These packages depend on xfconf-4.13.4:
xfce-base/libxfce4ui-4.13.3 (>=xfce-base/xfconf-4.12)
xfce-base/thunar-1.6.12 (>=xfce-base/xfconf-4.10)
xfce-base/xfce4-appfinder-4.12.0-r1 (>=xfce-base/xfconf-4.10)
xfce-base/xfce4-panel-4.12.0-r2 (>=xfce-base/xfconf-4.10)
xfce-base/xfce4-session-4.12.1-r2 (>=xfce-base/xfconf-4.10:0/0)
xfce-base/xfce4-settings-4.13.0 (>=xfce-base/xfconf-4.12)
xfce-base/xfwm4-4.13.0 (>=xfce-base/xfconf-4.10)
Locke doug #

I unmerged (-C) all of that. emerge @preserved-rebuild fails as before. Does this mean anything to someone smart about ebuilds?:  ERROR: xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4::xfce-kit failed (configure phase):

I am trying to attach the file /var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfconf-4.13.4/work/xfconf-4.13.4/config.log. I am out of ideas. If I am the only one with this problem, the odds of the build configuration being wrong are not high, are they? Does it make sense to do this: emerge in this order gcc binutils glibc? I think I'll take a shot with perl-cleaner unless someone advices against that.

config.log

2 hours ago, dougbmorris said:

runscript/openrc-run

completely unrelated to your issues and also non critical (just a warning that can be ignored and possibly fixed by the script maintainers)

5 hours ago, bcowan said:

emerge in this order gcc binutils glibc

bcowan told you to rebuild these instead you tried @revdep-rebuild and @world - do as being told, please. note I will not work probably as:

2 hours ago, dougbmorris said:

configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

You system is hosed. You have 2 options:

1. find a funtoo computer that is ok and build binary packages for at least gcc binutils glibc (if you don't have a computer download a fresh stage3 and chroot into it and build those packages there), then use these packages to restore a sane build environment on your box. (instructions can be found here https://www.funtoo.org/System_resurrection)
  2. reinstall
  3. or try doing that what bcowan proposed (emerge -v1 gcc, emerge -v1 binutils, emerge -v1 glibc, followed by eselect gcc list and set the right profile and follow the instructions printed on screen regarding sourcing /etc/profile) if that doesn't work only options 1, and 2 are left

Oleg, the output you suggested:

Locke etc # binutils-config -l
 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.29.1
Locke etc #

palica, I appreciate constructive advice but not trolling, and will filter for the gold accordingly. I choose what I do on my box and in my life, or do you take responsibility for my success? I saw that a newbie recommended something that at least in part I can't do based on pesky facts and reality:

But if that fails you can rebuild a sane toolchain. emerge in this order gcc binutils glibc

eselect gcc list and eselect gcc set your compiler and source /etc/profile

As I explained, I don't have a gcc module with eselect ('gcc' is alphabetically between 'fontconfig' and 'java-vm', which is why I asked if the advice from bcowan that I actually could try was a good idea:

Locke etc # eselect
Usage: eselect <global options> <module name> <module options>

Global options:
  --brief                   Make output shorter
  --colour=<yes|no|auto>    Enable or disable colour output (default 'auto')

Built-in modules:
  help                      Display a help message
  usage                     Display a usage message
  version                   Display version information

Extra modules:
  binutils                  Manage installed versions of sys-devel/binutils
  cdparanoia                Manage /usr/bin/cdparanoia implementation
  ecj                       Manage ECJ targets
  editor                    Manage the EDITOR environment variable
  env                       Manage environment variables set in /etc/env.d/
  fontconfig                Manage fontconfig /etc/fonts/conf.d/ symlinks
  java-vm                   Manage the Java system and user VM
  kernel                    Manage the /usr/src/linux symlink
  locale                    Manage the LANG environment variable
  maven                     Manage Maven targets
  mesa                      Manage the OpenGL driver architecture used by media-libs/mesa
  modules                   Query eselect modules
  news                      Read Gentoo ("GLEP 42") news items
  notify-send               Manage /usr/bin/notify-send implementation
  opengl                    Manage the OpenGL implementation used by your system
  pager                     Manage the PAGER environment variable
  pinentry                  Manage /usr/bin/pinentry implementation
  profile                   Manage the make.profile symlink
  python                    Manage Python interpreter preferences
  qtgraphicssystem          Manage the system-wide active Qt Graphics System
  rc                        Manage /etc/init.d scripts in runlevels
  ruby                      Manage Ruby symlinks
  vi                        Manage /usr/bin/vi implementations
  visual                    Manage the VISUAL environment variable
Locke etc #

Sorry, I was offering advice based on your initial problem with make oldconfig for vanilla sources.  Which points to broken binutils.  From your original question you were rebuilding @world so it appeared that you were able to emerge/build packages. From that point on the thread has evolved into a hodgepodge of many broken things that may or may not have happened after the first question.  At this point though it seems now your compiler links are broken.

bcowan, there was nothing inappropriate about your previous reply, and you are absolutely right: my compiler links are broken, though I lack the technical knowledge to have put it that way. I rebooted since yesterday, and so I suspect some of the functionality I had only in memory or where ever from the overwritten installation is gone. I can't successfully do: emerge -1 gcc, so I can't reinstall the toolchain. Looks like system resurrection as kindly suggested by palica or failing that reinstall are my final options. I don't know what magic incantation Oleg can suggest. I don't think the output he suggested is of much use they way it turned out, but I'll wait a bit for his possible reply before I try the aggressive options I just mentioned.

I've been wondering lately if BSD might be more reliable than any Gnu/Linux system because the Gnu/Linux universe is so diverse, but that is rhetorical on this thread, and probably frustration + wishful thinking. I know BDFL Daniel Robbins is more or less irreplaceable. I struggle less with his Gnu/Linux distros. I wonder what BDFL might say about "the future of funtoo - the funtooture" in hindsight, which might merit a new thread. What struck me was: "I want to start using the 3-clause BSD license for future Funtoo  work. This would keep things more consistent with OpenRC, openresolv,  and dhcpcd and give us more opportunities in the BSD direction." I'm too ignorant to have much of an opinion on such technicalities, but BDFL has a way of getting to the essentials plainly. Kits makes sense to me. Too bad it requires curation work and additional, persistent overhead, but then having X11 do what it did, enough to bother even him, is worse.

P.S.

I just stumbled across the "Toolchain update" page, which may or may not be the best way in general to update the toolchain:

emerge --sync
# emerge -1 glibc
# emerge -uNDav @world

P.S.P.S

Note to self:

emerge -av --depclean --exclude sys-devel/gcc

Oh look!, under "Troubleshooting":

revdep-rebuild

13 hours ago, palica said:

do as being told, please

I tried to be polite (see the please) . It is hard to help "Advanced members" if all they paste is output from other commands that don't point to a better problem description or solution. Your emerge @world did give us some more information about the system status, thou, but that was probably not intentional on your part and pure luck :)

Sometimes even "Newbies" have good ideas and even the fix.

What you can do is download a stage3 and chroot as if you were installing a new funtoo (following the steps of Chrooting in Install article on the funtoo wiki) and then creating binary packages of @system packages.

Steps to resurrect:

• download stage3
  • chroot to stage3
  • quickpkg --include-config y @system
  • exit chroot
  • locate packages in $chroot/var/cache/portage/packages/
  • copy them to your /var/cache/portage/packages on your hosed system
  • emerge -avk1 @system

You should see a lot of binary packages being emerge (if that doesn't work, try installing gcc, binutils and glibc first with separate emerge -avk1 gcc ... commands)

By now you should have your system working again.

If not, wait for Oleg or BDFL to reply. Over and out.

On a side note : there is a Funtoo system resurrection guide @ https://www.funtoo.org/System_resurrection that details the steps @palica just correctly described, but it needs some "modernization/lovin"  to reflect the /usr/portage move to /var/cache and /var/git plus some other minor technical details.

bcowan, you and palica are quite knowledgable. I will carefully study the points you suggested. Thanks.

I wondered if I could delete builds in /usr/portage/sys-devel, that apparently are just ignored (renamed the build files to see).

Locke portage # find / -name gcc\*5.4\*
/usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-5.4.0.ebuild
/usr/portage/distfiles/gcc-5.4.0-patches-1.3.tar.bz2
/usr/portage/distfiles/gcc-5.4.0.tar.bz2
/usr/portage/metadata/md5-cache/sys-devel/gcc-5.4.0
/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/5.4.0/gcc-5.4.0
/usr/bin/gcc-5.4.0
/var/db/pkg/sys-devel/gcc-5.4.0
/var/db/pkg/sys-devel/gcc-5.4.0/gcc-5.4.0.ebuild
/var/git/meta-repo/kits/core-kit/metadata/md5-cache/sys-devel/gcc-5.4.0
/var/git/meta-repo/kits/core-kit/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-5.4.0.ebuild

I will look at the tarball chroot environment when the time comes to see what isn't there.

If your system has been switched over to kits/meta-repo ( which should be the case ) /usr/portage has been deprecated in favor of /var/git/meta-repo and /var/cache/portage/distfiles  instead of /usr/portage/distfiles. 

looking at your last post, does gcc-config --list-profiles output anything? should spit out something like [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-5.4.0

bcowan, I'm preparing to try palica's solution. It looks to be a concise and updated version of the System resurrection page. Maybe something from the output in the attached text file will jump out at you before I take the plunge. I waited to update because I wanted to get a project done not struggle with admin work. This is the price I pay. It may be a good investment because I intend to set up a practice server on an old vertical box, if it still works. That's the start of phase two of my project. When I do figure out how to use technology for my specific purposes, it ain't figured quickly. lol

bases_covered.txt

*** Solved: Try a Fresh Installation. ***

This thread installment documents my failed attempt to 'resurrect' my system with chroot and quickpkg.  I'll condense it. I got the latest stage 3 tarball (stage3-intel64-sandybridge-funtoo-current-2018-01-31.tar.xz, 349981588 bytes) and untarred it using the -p option (tar xpvf <tarfile> -C <dir>). Little did I know that the tarball does not include the /var/git subdirectory tree,which may or may not be relevant. Using System Rescue CD x86-4.9.1, released 2017-1-1. It starts with the /bin/zsh not the /bin/bash shell. The CD does not shut down cleaning when I run 'reboot'. Instead it hands after printing to the console '* Saving dependency cache ...' I have no idea what a CD-R os must cache. I made two attempts. The first one is when I clumsily discovered I was running the zsh. Maybe it was the output for unhappy chroot that tipped me off to it. The crux of the failure on the first try was:

sysresccd rescue # cp /etc/resolv.conf ./etc/
sysresccd rescue # mount --bind /proc ./proc/
sysresccd rescue # mount --bind /sys ./sys/
sysresccd rescue # pwd
/mnt/myroot/root/rescue
sysresccd rescue # mount --bind /dev ./dev/
sysresccd rescue # mount --bind /dev/pts ./dev/pt
ptmx  pts/  
sysresccd rescue # mount --bind /dev/pts ./dev/pts
sysresccd rescue # echo $SHELL
/bin/bash
sysresccd rescue # chroot /mnt/my
myhome/ myroot/
sysresccd rescue # chroot /mnt/myroot/root/rescue/
sysresccd / # source /etc/profile
sysresccd / # env-update
!!! Unable to parse profile: '/etc/portage/make.profile'
!!! ParseError: Parent 'core-kit:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/arch/x86-64bit' not found: '/etc/portage/make.profile/parent'
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
sysresccd / #

The content of file parent from the stage3 tarball was:

core-kit:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/arch/x86-64bit
core-kit:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/build/current
core-kit:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/arch/x86-64bit/subarch/intel64-sandybridge
core-kit:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/flavor/core
core-hw-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
core-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
desktop-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
dev-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
editors-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
games-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
gnome-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
java-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
kde-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
media-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
net-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
nokit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
perl-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
php-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
python-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
science-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
security-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
text-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime
xorg-kit:funtoo/kits/python-kit/3.4-prime

So basically I discovered that I did not have the portage tree with the tarball content:

doug@Locke ~/Downloads/stage3 $ find /var/git/ -name core-kit
/var/git/meta-repo/.git/modules/kits/core-kit
/var/git/meta-repo/kits/core-kit
/var/git/meta-repo/repos.conf/core-kit
doug@Locke ~/Downloads/stage3 $doug@Locke ~/Downloads/stage3 $ tar --list -f stage3-intel64-sandybridge-funtoo-current-2018-01-31.tar.xz|grep -e \/git\/\$
./usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/portage/sync/modules/git/
./usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/portage/sync/modules/git/
./usr/share/git/

The current Install page has the section "Downloading the Portage Tree", which is essentially the command 'ego sync'. The System resurrection page does not say anything about getting the tree or meta-repo. Since I did not trust the Internet connection via the Live CD, I followed some of the instructions from the ReadMe of github's meta-repo page to get the meta-repo, /var/git/ subdirectory, added to my stage3 subtree. Well, restarted with the System Rescue CD, tested the shell with echo $SHELL and switched via 'SHELL=/bin/bash bash -l', started X-windows via 'startx', got the Internet connection in the desktop environment, and failed thusly:

sysresccd rescue # chroot .
sysresccd / # export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
(chroot) sysresccd / # source /etc/profile
sysresccd / # env-update
!!! ParseError: Parent 'core-kit:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/arch/x86-64bit' not found: '/etc/portage/make.profile/parent'
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
sysresccd / # ego sync
Syncing meta-repo
Already up-to-date.
Syncing core-kit branch 1.0-prime
Switched to branch '1.0-prime'
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/1.0-prime'.
HEAD is now at 78da7c1d updates
remote: Counting objects: 12, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (4/4), done.
remote: Total 12 (delta 7), reused 12 (delta 7), pack-reused 0
Unpacking objects: 100% (12/12), done.
From https://github.com/funtoo/core-kit
   78da7c1d..4d16cd43  1.0-prime  -> origin/1.0-prime
   71fd56a6..46f577dc  1.2-prime  -> origin/1.2-prime
Updating 78da7c1d..4d16cd43
...[skipping output]...
our branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
HEAD is now at df3822e07c updates
Already up-to-date.
Sync successful and kits in alignment! :)
Updating profiles...
Unable to find the repository name in /profiles/repo_name - exiting.
sysresccd / # export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
(chroot) sysresccd / # pwd
/
(chroot) sysresccd / # ls profiles
ls: cannot access profiles: No such file or directory
(chroot) sysresccd / # ls
bin  boot  dev  etc  home  lib  lib32  lib64  mnt  opt  proc  root  run  sbin  srv  sys  tmp  usr  var
(chroot) sysresccd / # epro update
Unable to find the repository name in /profiles/repo_name - exiting.
(chroot) sysresccd / # quickpkg --include-config y @system
 * No packages found
(chroot) sysresccd / # ls /var/git/meta-repo/
.git/        .gitmodules  README.rst   kits/        metadata/    repos.conf/  
(chroot) sysresccd / # ls -l /var/git/meta-repo/kits/

The full attempt is in an attached file.

resurrection_data_log2.txt