Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

instructions for switching to kits have changed

hick518

Question

A few weeks ago I switched to kits, following the instructions at https://github.com/funtoo/meta-repo.

Today I went back to that site and I see the instructions have changed.  For instance, the symbolic link is different and several lines have been added near the end of the instructions.  What am I supposed to do now?  Should I undo what I did a few weeks ago, and follow the new instructions?  And is there some method in place to inform me of these changes, so I don't have to get lucky by stumbling across them on the internet?

3 answers to this question

you shouldn't change anything about it unless you are using custom overlays or layman or planning to use them in future the way old instruction was results in /etc/portage/repos.conf directory to be a link to /var/git/meta-repo, thats then makes a custom overlays inside /var/git/meta-repo, which is not the good place. new instruction makes a distinct repos.conf configuration, the one to point to portage tree (meta-repo), rest can be any custom overlay. i believe better solution to it now added into unreleased version of ego.