Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

compiz, emerald

pr1vacy

Question

13 answers to this question

I think that about compiz there is nothing to do. I was a Gnome 2.6.x + compiz-fusion user.

The latest version that i tried was the 0.9.X in "ubuntu ultimate edition".

Now I use KDE at first with enabled various desktop effects.....

Hello.

I'm using XFCE and have used kwin and compiz both.

kwin does mostly what I want. compiz has a lot more options customizations and I've never had an issue with it.

I was going to test both on this laptop and that's when I discovered the busted links and ebuilds. Thanks.

Will tinker with compiz later today.

Looked at Kwin and the dependencies for version 4 and 5 are TOO massive. You basically will be installing KDE to use either version. Not interested.

I'll get compiz and emerald going and let you know what I find out along the way.

The ebuilds are all broken at the moment with missing dependencies. This should be interesting.

With compiz 0.9 the main things I use are the cube and Expo.

Those work fine without the window decorations until I get time to get Emerald working.

You can just hold ALT and Mouse 1 to move windows around and ALT-Mouse 2 to resize windows.

Of course MOVE, RESIZE need to be enabled.

I use Cube, Cube Rotate and Cube Deformation. In Cube Deformation I set the deformation option to NONE.

It looks good and is kind of cool without the window borders honestly.

Still going to get it going but will be later today.

I set my cube to 3 sides so I have a triangle. Sweet.

I filed a bug report. Emerge of emerald 0.8.8:

Package: x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8
    Repository: gentoo
    Maintainer: desktop-effects
    USE: abi_x86_64 amd64 elibc_glibc kernel_linux multilib userland_GNU
    FEATURES: preserve-libs sandbox userpriv usersandbox
    >>> Unpacking source...
    >>> Unpacking emerald-0.8.8.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8/work
    >>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8/work
    >>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8/work/emerald-0.8.8 ...
    Applying emerald-0.8.8-pkgconfig-pollution.patch ...
    [ ok ]
    >>> Source prepared.
    >>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8/work/emerald-0.8.8 ...
    econf: updating emerald-0.8.8/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
    econf: updating emerald-0.8.8/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking --libdir=/usr/lib64 --disable-static --enable-fast-install --disable-mime-update
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/lib/portage/python3.3/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install -c
    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
    checking for gawk... gawk
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
    checking for style of include used by make... GNU
    checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
    checking whether the C compiler works... yes
    checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
    checking for suffix of executables...
    checking whether we are cross compiling... no
    checking for suffix of object files... o
    checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
    checking whether x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
    checking dependency style of x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... none
    checking for library containing strerror... none required
    checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... (cached) x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
    checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
    checking whether x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
    checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
    checking dependency style of x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... (cached) none
    checking how to run the C preprocessor... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -E
    checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
    checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
    checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
    checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
    checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
    checking for fgrep... /bin/grep -F
    checking for ld used by x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld
    checking if the linker (/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
    checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
    checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
    checking whether ln -s works... yes
    checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 1572864
    checking whether the shell understands some XSI constructs... yes
    checking whether the shell understands "+="... yes
    checking for /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
    checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-objdump... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-objdump
    checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
    checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ar... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ar
    checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-strip... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-strip
    checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ranlib... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ranlib
    checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc object... ok
    checking for ANSI C header files... yes
    checking for sys/types.h... yes
    checking for sys/stat.h... yes
    checking for stdlib.h... yes
    checking for string.h... yes
    checking for memory.h... yes
    checking for strings.h... yes
    checking for inttypes.h... yes
    checking for stdint.h... yes
    checking for unistd.h... yes
    checking for dlfcn.h... yes
    checking for objdir... .libs
    checking if x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
    checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
    checking if x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
    checking if x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc static flag -static works... yes
    checking if x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
    checking if x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
    checking whether the x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc linker (/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports shared libraries... yes
    checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
    checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
    checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
    checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
    checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
    checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
    checking whether to build static libraries... no
    checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
    checking whether NLS is requested... yes
    checking for intltool >= 0.35.0... Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/\$ { <-- HERE ?AC_PACKAGE_NAME}?/ at /usr/bin/intltool-update line 1193.
    Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/\${ <-- HERE ?PACKAGE}?/ at /usr/bin/intltool-update line 1194.
    Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/\${ <-- HERE ?AC_PACKAGE_VERSION}?/ at /usr/bin/intltool-update line 1195.
    Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/\${ <-- HERE ?VERSION}?/ at /usr/bin/intltool-update line 1196.
    Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/\${ <-- HERE ?AC_PACKAGE_NAME}

?/ at /usr/bin/intltool-update line 1222.
    Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/\$
    { <-- HERE ?PACKAGE}

?/ at /usr/bin/intltool-update line 1223.
    Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/\$
    { <-- HERE ?AC_PACKAGE_VERSION}

?/ at /usr/bin/intltool-update line 1224.
    { <-- HERE ?VERSION}

?/ at /usr/bin/intltool-update line 1225.
    { <-- HERE ?\w+}

?/ at /usr/bin/intltool-update line 1226.
    0.51.0 found
    checking for intltool-update... /usr/bin/intltool-update
    checking for intltool-merge... /usr/bin/intltool-merge
    checking for intltool-extract... /usr/bin/intltool-extract
    checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
    checking for msgmerge... /usr/bin/msgmerge
    checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
    checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/gmsgfmt
    checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
    checking for perl >= 5.8.1... 5.22.0
    checking for XML::Parser... ok
    checking locale.h usability... yes
    checking locale.h presence... yes
    checking for locale.h... yes
    checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
    checking libintl.h usability... yes
    checking libintl.h presence... yes
    checking for libintl.h... yes
    checking for ngettext in libc... yes
    checking for dgettext in libc... yes
    checking for bind_textdomain_codeset... yes
    checking for msgfmt... (cached) /usr/bin/msgfmt
    checking for dcgettext... yes
    checking if msgfmt accepts -c... yes
    checking for gmsgfmt... (cached) /usr/bin/gmsgfmt
    checking for xgettext... (cached) /usr/bin/xgettext
    checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
    checking sys/time.h usability... yes
    checking sys/time.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/time.h... yes
    checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
    checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
    configure: Using PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig
    checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-pkg-config... /usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-pkg-config
    checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
    checking for EMERALD... yes
    checking for wnck_window_has_name... yes
    checking for update-mime-database... /usr/bin/update-mime-database
    checking for update-desktop-database... /usr/bin/update-desktop-database
    checking for gtk-update-icon-cache... /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache
    configure: creating ./config.status
    config.status: creating libengine/emeraldengine.pc
    config.status: creating Makefile
    config.status: creating src/Makefile
    config.status: creating include/Makefile
    config.status: creating engines/Makefile
    config.status: creating themer/Makefile
    config.status: creating pixmaps/Makefile
    config.status: creating libengine/Makefile
    config.status: creating misc/Makefile
    config.status: creating doc/Makefile
    config.status: creating po/Makefile.in
    config.status: creating defaults/Makefile
    config.status: creating defaults/theme/Makefile
    config.status: creating config.h
    config.status: executing depfiles commands
    config.status: executing libtool commands
    config.status: executing default-1 commands
    config.status: executing po/stamp-it commands
    >>> Source configured.
    >>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8/work/emerald-0.8.8 ...
    make -j9
    make all-recursive
    make[1]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8/work/emerald-0.8.8'
    Making all in libengine
    make[2]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8/work/emerald-0.8.8/libengine'
    /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/libwnck-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I/usr/include/compiz -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I../include -DENGINE_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/emerald/engines\" -DDEFTHEMEDIR='"/usr/share/emerald/theme/"' -DDEFSETTINGSFILE='"/usr/share/emerald/settings.ini"' -march=nehalem -O2 -pipe -I/usr/include/libwnck-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I/usr/include/compiz -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -c -o emerald.lo emerald.c
    /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/libwnck-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I/usr/include/compiz -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I../include -DENGINE_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/emerald/engines\" -DDEFTHEMEDIR='"/usr/share/emerald/theme/"' -DDEFSETTINGSFILE='"/usr/share/emerald/settings.ini"' -march=nehalem -O2 -pipe -I/usr/include/libwnck-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I/usr/include/compiz -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -c -o themer.lo themer.c
    libtool: compile: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/libwnck-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I/usr/include/compiz -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I../include -DENGINE_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/emerald/engines\" -DDEFTHEMEDIR=\"/usr/share/emerald/theme/\" -DDEFSETTINGSFILE=\"/usr/share/emerald/settings.ini\" -march=nehalem -O2 -pipe -I/usr/include/libwnck-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I/usr/include/compiz -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -c emerald.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/emerald.o
    libtool: compile: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/libwnck-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I/usr/include/compiz -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I../include -DENGINE_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/emerald/engines\" -DDEFTHEMEDIR=\"/usr/share/emerald/theme/\" -DDEFSETTINGSFILE=\"/usr/share/emerald/settings.ini\" -march=nehalem -O2 -pipe -I/usr/include/libwnck-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I/usr/include/compiz -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -c themer.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/themer.o
    emerald.c: In function ?copy_from_defaults_if_needed?:
    emerald.c:49:20: warning: assignment discards ?const? qualifier from pointer target type
    while(n=g_dir_read_name(d))
    ^
    /bin/sh ../libtool -tag=CC --mode=link x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -march=nehalem -O2 -pipe -I/usr/include/libwnck-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I/usr/include/compiz -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -Wl,-O1 -Wl,sort-common -Wl,-as-needed -o libemeraldengine.la -rpath /usr/lib64 emerald.lo themer.lo -lwnck-1 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lfontconfig -lfreetype -ldecoration -lXrender -lX11 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lcairo -ldl -lm -lwnck-1 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lfontconfig -lfreetype -ldecoration -lXrender -lX11 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lcairo
    libtool: link: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc shared .libs/emerald.o .libs/themer.o -ldl -lm -lwnck-1 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lfontconfig -lfreetype -ldecoration -lXrender -lX11 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lcairo -march=nehalem -pthread -Wl,-O1 -Wl,sort-common -Wl,-as-needed -pthread -Wl,-soname -Wl,libemeraldengine.so.0 -o .libs/libemeraldengine.so.0.0.0
    libtool: link: (cd ".libs" && rm -f "libemeraldengine.so.0" && ln -s "libemeraldengine.so.0.0.0" "libemeraldengine.so.0")
    libtool: link: (cd ".libs" && rm -f "libemeraldengine.so" && ln -s "libemeraldengine.so.0.0.0" "libemeraldengine.so")
    libtool: link: ( cd ".libs" && rm -f "libemeraldengine.la" && ln -s "../libemeraldengine.la" "libemeraldengine.la" )
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8/work/emerald-0.8.8/libengine'
    Making all in src
    make[2]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8/work/emerald-0.8.8/src'
    x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/libwnck-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I/usr/include/compiz -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I../include -DLOCALEDIR="\"/usr/share/locale"\" -DENGINE_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/emerald/engines\" -march=nehalem -O2 -pipe -I/usr/include/libwnck-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I/usr/include/compiz -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -c main.c
    x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/libwnck-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I/usr/include/compiz -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I../include -DLOCALEDIR="\"/usr/share/locale"\" -DENGINE_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/emerald/engines\" -march=nehalem -O2 -pipe -I/usr/include/libwnck-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I/usr/include/compiz -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -c engine_loader.c
    main.c: In function ?decor_update_window_property?:
    main.c:508:8: warning: passing argument 3 of ?decor_quads_to_property? makes integer from pointer without a cast
    &extents, &maxextents, 0, 0, quads, nQuad);
    ^
    In file included from ../include/emerald.h:7:0,
    from main.c:27:
    /usr/include/compiz/decoration.h:222:1: note: expected ?Pixmap? but argument is of type ?struct decor_extents_t *?
    decor_quads_to_property (long *data,
    ^
    main.c:508:37: warning: passing argument 7 of ?decor_quads_to_property? from incompatible pointer type
    &extents, &maxextents, 0, 0, quads, nQuad);
    ^
    /usr/include/compiz/decoration.h:222:1: note: expected ?struct decor_extents_t *? but argument is of type ?struct decor_quad_t *?
    ^
    main.c:507:5: error: too few arguments to function ?decor_quads_to_property?
    decor_quads_to_property(data, GDK_PIXMAP_XID(d->pixmap),
    ^
    /usr/include/compiz/decoration.h:222:1: note: declared here
    ^
    main.c: In function ?decor_update_switcher_property?:
    main.c:1940:8: warning: passing argument 3 of ?decor_quads_to_property? makes integer from pointer without a cast
    &extents, &extents, 0, 0, quads, nQuad);
    ^
    /usr/include/compiz/decoration.h:222:1: note: expected ?Pixmap? but argument is of type ?struct decor_extents_t *?
    ^
    main.c:1940:34: warning: passing argument 7 of ?decor_quads_to_property? from incompatible pointer type
    ^
    /usr/include/compiz/decoration.h:222:1: note: expected ?struct decor_extents_t *? but argument is of type ?struct decor_quad_t *?
    ^
    main.c:1939:5: error: too few arguments to function ?decor_quads_to_property?
    decor_quads_to_property(data, GDK_PIXMAP_XID(d->pixmap),
    ^
    ^
    main.c: In function ?update_default_decorations?:
    main.c:2355:40: error: ?DECOR_NORMAL_ATOM_NAME? undeclared (first use in this function)
    normalAtom = XInternAtom(xdisplay, DECOR_NORMAL_ATOM_NAME, FALSE);
    ^
    main.c:2355:40: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
    main.c:2367:5: warning: passing argument 3 of ?decor_quads_to_property? makes integer from pointer without a cast
    &ws->shadow_extents, &ws->shadow_extents, 0, 0,
    ^
    ^
    main.c:2368:5: warning: passing argument 7 of ?decor_quads_to_property? from incompatible pointer type
    quads, nQuad);
    ^
    ^
    main.c:2366:2: error: too few arguments to function ?decor_quads_to_property?
    decor_quads_to_property(data, GDK_PIXMAP_XID(ws->shadow_pixmap),
    ^
    ^
    main.c:2427:5: warning: passing argument 3 of ?decor_quads_to_property? makes integer from pointer without a cast
    ^
    ^
    main.c:2427:31: warning: passing argument 7 of ?decor_quads_to_property? from incompatible pointer type
    ^
    ^
    main.c:2426:2: error: too few arguments to function ?decor_quads_to_property?
    decor_quads_to_property(data, GDK_PIXMAP_XID(d.p_inactive),
    ^
    ^
    main.c:2436:5: warning: passing argument 3 of ?decor_quads_to_property? makes integer from pointer without a cast
    ^
    ^
    main.c:2436:31: warning: passing argument 7 of ?decor_quads_to_property? from incompatible pointer type
    ^
    ^
    main.c:2435:2: error: too few arguments to function ?decor_quads_to_property?
    decor_quads_to_property(data, GDK_PIXMAP_XID(d.p_active),
    ^
    ^
    main.c: In function ?main?:
    main.c:5620:5: error: too few arguments to function ?decor_set_dm_check_hint?
    decor_set_dm_check_hint(xdisplay, DefaultScreen(xdisplay));
    ^
    /usr/include/compiz/decoration.h:482:1: note: declared here
    decor_set_dm_check_hint (Display *xdisplay,
    ^
    Makefile:320: recipe for target 'main.o' failed
    make[2]: *** [main.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8/work/emerald-0.8.8/src'
    Makefile:337: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8/work/emerald-0.8.8'
    Makefile:266: recipe for target 'all' failed
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    ERROR: x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8::gentoo failed (compile phase):
    emake failed

Got everything working. Here's what I did:

layman -a stuff

Then after sync/update and installation I created /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask/compiz-mask and added:

>dev-python/compizconfig-python-0.8.4-r5
>x11-libs/compiz-bcop-0.8.8
>x11-libs/compizconfig-backend-gconf-0.8.8
>x11-libs/libcompizconfig-0.8.8
>x11-plugins/compiz-plugins-extra-0.8.8
>x11-plugins/compiz-plugins-main-0.8.8
>x11-wm/compiz-0.8.8-r2
>x11-apps/ccsm-0.8.4-r6
>x11-apps/fusion-icon-0.1-r4
>x11-themes/emerald-themes-0.5.2
>x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8-r1

then

layman -d stuff

Everything is working. No glitches or bugs. ;)

(This is what I did but it is not proper....continue reading below for proper method)

Got everything working. Here's what I did:

layman -a stuff

Then after sync/update and installation I created /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask/compiz-mask and added:

>x11-wm/compiz-0.8.8-r2
>x11-apps/ccsm-0.8.4-r6
>x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8-r1

then

layman -d stuff

Everything is working. No glitches or bugs. ;)

Do NOT put anything inside $PORTDIR yourself, this is why /etc/portage and overlays exist, also you shouldn't remove that 'stuff' overlay if that's where you installed stuff from.

Do NOT put anything inside $PORTDIR yourself, this is why /etc/portage and overlays exist, also you shouldn't remove that 'stuff' overlay if that's where you installed stuff from.

Thanks for the critique. Funtoo newb here.

I didn't have package.mask or package.unmask files/directories in my /etc/portage so that's why I put them in $PORTDIR after reading THIS.

Will a file or directory work for package.mask and/or package.unmask in /etc/portage? Easy to test just wondering what's the best practice.

I wasn't planning on making changes/updates to the files I pulled in from 'stuff' overlay so that's why I thought I could mask the files and remove the overlay rather than

*/*::stuff

in package.mask.

Ahhh....the nuances of the somewhat overcomplicated overlays. The funtoo manual overlay section needs an update for sure. Here's what I did to make it 'proper':

# mkdir /etc/portage/package.mask
# mkdir /etc/portage/package.unmask

I created two files in the package.mask directory. First one is compiz-emerald-lock with this inside:

>x11-wm/compiz-0.8.8-r2
>x11-apps/ccsm-0.8.4-r6
>x11-wm/emerald-0.8.8-r1

2nd one is stuff-overlay-lock that contains this:

*/*::stuff

And finally I created a file in the package.unmask directory named compiz-emerald-from-stuff with this inside:

dev-python/compizconfig-python::stuff
x11-libs/compiz-bcop::stuff
x11-libs/compizconfig-backend-gconf::stuff
x11-libs/libcompizconfig::stuff
x11-plugins/compiz-plugins-extra::stuff
x11-plugins/compiz-plugins-main::stuff
x11-wm/compiz::stuff
x11-apps/ccsm::stuff
x11-apps/fusion-icon::stuff
x11-themes/emerald-themes::stuff
x11-wm/emerald::stuff

All works well.