Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Started installing funtoo at 11 AM in the morning, it's 3:48 PM, can anyone help to speed up the process?

arinbasu

Question

I started following the steps in https://funtoo.org/install series of pages.

Machine: Acer Aspire One D257, Atom N255, 1 GB RAM

Used Gentoo minimal CD for 32 bit systems, also Funtoo distribution of 32 bit systems Generic Linux

Everything worked well and fast for one hour starting from Step 1 to Step 12.

Then I typed `emerge -auDN @world`, it asked me if I wanted to update python and some other software, altogether it would be something like 74 packages to update. I pressed "Yes" sensing that with a fast internet and 74 packages, I could update things quickly.

At that point, lines after lines flashed across my tiny screen in the Acer Aspire notebook, endless .... it's 4 PM now, there is no hope of this thing ever going to finish, it's barely 18 of 74 packages!

Can someone please explain how I can get out of this plain text apocalypse?

Will I ever be able to finish installing funtoo on the machine?

Anyone experienced anything like this before?

Best,

Arin

3 answers to this question

Unfortunately with just two cores and 1GB of RAM it's going to take a while.  I've compiled on old dual core systems before but never with less than 4GB of RAM.  That took a little over a day.

I installed Funtoo 1.3 on a similar spec'ed machine (Shuttle all-in-one) way back in 2015-ish. It hasn't been updated since for that very reason. It resides in its box and has been for a fair few years now, with little prospect other then perhaps installing Devuan on it. Mind, it runs from an SSD of similar age but that didn't make a difference at all in compile times, sadly 😞

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

@arinbasu it is probably best to start with a very current generic_32 so few if any packages need upating. I am hoping you have a faster machine somewhere. I recommend nfs mounting the root filesystem to the faster machine, fchrooting into the nfs root remotely, and using more RAM and CPU cores to build the updates. This now works. You should be able to follow these instructions intended for Raspberry Pi:

https://www.funtoo.org/NFS_over_fchroot_on_Raspi