What is a good IDE or source code editor?

dartomic

I was using VS Code for a while, but I just tried Kate and realized that I like it a lot better. I want to know what else people like a lot, even if it's for the terminal, and even if it requires a lot of learning. If it does require a lot of learning, I would like to know what features might make it worth the effort to learn the application.

On 2021, I used these editors:

• vim
  • gedit
  • notepad++
  • atom
  • VS Studio Code
  • kate

I like notepad ++ because in case of catastrophic failure, it does remember the contents of all files I was working on, even the changes I haven't saved yet.

I had been using atom for several months, and I still like it so much.

I used VS Studio Code for a while, but I am not still convinced of it.

Right now, I am using kate and I feel it matches all my needs (except the great memory feature of notepad++, unfortunately) and I bet I will stick to it for a long while. I customized the default options and made it atom-like, but I feel I'm distilled open source and that makes me happy. Also, I love the icon set and the minimap. I abandoned atom because I didn't like the available mindmap addons.

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2021 at 5:07 PM, drobbins said:

I use pycharm professional (paid) because I do a lot of python. The JetBrains editors are pretty good and a 'sweet spot' in terms of functionality and usability. The python-code-related features really are helpful.

I don't know Python, but I see a lot of job postings for it. I really like C, but I haven't seen many jobs for C programmers unless I learn more math and assembly to work for a video game company. But I have seen a lot of people say good things about PyCharm. I'll have to get into that when I get into writing more advanced stuff in Python later.

Is it safe to assume that anything below Python 3 is pointless to learn, if they're different? I'm not really sure if they're different languages.

On 12/12/2021 at 1:19 PM, gatolinux said:

On 2021, I used these editors:

• vim
  • gedit
  • notepad++
  • atom
  • VS Studio Code
  • kate

I like notepad ++ because in case of catastrophic failure, it does remember the contents of all files I was working on, even the changes I haven't saved yet.

I had been using atom for several months, and I still like it so much.

I used VS Studio Code for a while, but I am not still convinced of it.

Right now, I am using kate and I feel it matches all my needs (except the great memory feature of notepad++, unfortunately) and I bet I will stick to it for a long while. I customized the default options and made it atom-like, but I feel I'm distilled open source and that makes me happy. Also, I love the icon set and the minimap. I abandoned atom because I didn't like the available mindmap addons.

VS Studio Code does that as well, I think. I haven't used it in a while. But I do like it a lot. I like Kate a lot too. Vim seems cool, I just don't know how to use all of it's features yet.