Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Package libvpx masked, prevents Mate installation

dutch-master

Question

Reviving my attempts to install Funtoo 1.4, I've run into an issue with libvpx-1.9.0. This package is masked by package.mask but it is required for installing Mate. Several packages depend on libvpx, including ffmpeg, gst-plugins-[libav,meta], brasero and mate (meta-package) itself. Is there an alternative/workaround/fix for this?

TIA!

Edited by dutch-master

5 answers to this question

https://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-6561

>=libvpx-1.8.0  globally masked you could disable vpx use flag globally in /etc/portage/make.conf to eliminate any need for libvpx.

I need vpx for ffmpeg and it was preventing the x265 update.

I comment out the mask which is temporary which allowed the update to proceed.

rj@funtoo /var/git/meta-repo/kits/core-kit/profiles/package.mask $ sudo nano funtoo-cautionary 
# Allow firefox to merge cleanly
#>=media-libs/libvpx-1.8

You could also add the libvpx-1.7.0.ebuild from the 1.3-release branch to a local overlay.

Well, that didn't work. Blocked the 1.8 release globally in make.conf but the 1.4 version it wanted instead is no longer available. For some reason, the libvpx line was missing in funtoo-cautionary (at least on my system) so it wasn't blocked to start with from that layer. No idea where the blockage comes from then.

As I was quite fed up by now, I tried reverting the 1.4 release back to 1.3 by first removing everything outside the core flavour, setting ego.conf back to 1.3, then deleting the existing package cache (and rebuilding it with ego sync) before running emerge -auDN @world. To be greeted by a glibc error that refuses to downgrade my system. Regrettably, it appears Funtoo 1.3 is no longer available as I can't find any stage3 or ftp-server directory for it any moreEssentially, if you want to install Funtoo+Mate, you can't. Libvpx blocks it on 1.4 and 1.3 is no longer available for a workaround solution. Installing a (popular) DE shouldn't require a user to jump through so many hoops ?

Edited by dutch-master
New info

drobbins announced End Of Life on March 1, 2020 for 1.3-release.

drobbins removed the libvpx mask from funtoo-cautionary.

Now that media-kit/1.4-release/media-libs/libvpx-1.9.0 is unmasked you should be able to install mate after you remove/revert any configurations you made that may cause a block or conflict and set the mate mix-ins.

These outputs are from my system:

emerge -pv mate

emerge --info

epro list

ego kit

Edited by cardinal
More information !