funtoo forums
shaman

prevent debian-sources from merged

Question

Okay so, I'm using my kernel from kernel.org. I need to stop the merging of debian-sources and everything kernel releated. Is it safe for me to put

sys-kernel/*

in package.mask?

4 answers to this question

"Important

Right now, the -1 option is required to not add our @kernel set to world-sets. This allows you to emerge it independently from @world. If you forget to use this option, edit /var/lib/portage/world-sets and remove the @kernel line. This will prevent kernel updates from being included in @world updates."

http://www.funtoo.org/Funtoo_Linux_Installation

anyways /var/lib/portage/world needs any sys-kernel lines removed to not fetch kernels at world updates ;-)

I'm not satisfied for the presence of debian-source in Funtoo.

# emerge --deselect debian-sources && emerge -C debian-sources

Then

# echo "sys-kernel/debian-sources">>/etc/portage/package.mask
# euse -E experimental -p sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
# emerge gentoo-sources genkernel
Then open /etc/genkernel.conf if you want to change some parameters. And to set the "MAKEOPTS" variable as n?threads+1; then
# genkernel --menuconfig all

( at first if you've more then one sys-kernel*-sources, use :

# eselect kernel list
# eselect kernel set X

(where X is the number relative at the kernel that You want to compile).

Ciao :)

I'm not satisfied for the presence of debian-source in Funtoo.

# emerge --deselect debian-sources && emerge -C debian-sources

Then

# euse -E experimental -p sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
# emerge gentoo-sources genkernel
Then open /etc/genkernel.conf if you want to change some parameters. And to set the "MAKEOPTS" variable as n?threads+1; then
# genkernel --menuconfig all

( at first if you've more then one sys-kernel*-sources, use :

# eselect kernel list
# eselect kernel set X

(where X is the number relative at the kernel that You want to compile).

Ciao :)

The

echo "sys-kernel/debian-sources">>/etc/portage/package.mask

worked for me

In effect .... I wrote also this:

The other informations (excuse me if "redundant" i wrote for a way to use gentoo-sources with genkernel..... but if you want you can't use genkernel but the /usr must be a subdirectory of / (root) included in the root itsels; otherwise will be necessary the initramfs or initrd; considering you want to generate a custom kernel without intramfs, in this case You'll must set as a "built-in modules" to make you machine functional the "foundamental modules  for your machine; then you must know perfectly your hardware and the modules associated with more important peripherals (e.g. HDD o SSD amd others.

The initramfs containing modules "not built in", it simplifies things at the level of the kernel configuration and choice to fill out a form built in or put in / lib / modules /

If my explanation is not accurate, Please correct me .....

I have many things to learn, a lot to understand in a more specific, but the will is there :)

If You decide to use a custom kernel without initrams, use the "jobserver" with make (n? threads + 1)

For example I've a i7 then 4 cores but 8 threads. then my jobservermust set to 4 x 2 = 8 + 1 = 9 ; If you've an i5 then 4 cores/4 threads You'll use make -j5 and so on ......

Then in /usr/src/linux/ I'll use

# make -j9 && make -j9 modules_install
(if You want) terminate the job with make install (iyou'll find in /boot a new file named vmlinuz (The compioled kernel image); this file you can rename as you prefer then update grub)

Forgive me if my knowledge of US language is poor and I make grammatical errors and even if I tell you things you already know ... maybe

thanks for any suggestions :) :)  :))