Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

How to permanently remove debian kernel source?

minou666

Question

I did a world update and now got a very  old debian kernel

localhost ~ # dir /boot/
total 35800
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root    4096 31 déc  1969 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root    4096 11 fév 18:32 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root       0  4 aoû  2019 .keep
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root    4096  3 nov 20:36 EFI
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 3671764 11 fév 19:11 System.map-debian-sources-lts-x86_64-4.19.98_p1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 4487982  6 aoû  2019 System.map-genkernel-x86_64-5.2.4-zen-catu+
drwxr-xr-x  6 root root    4096 11 fév 19:23 grub
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 7689728 11 fév 19:22 initramfs-debian-sources-lts-x86_64-4.19.98_p1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 6409668  6 aoû  2019 initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-5.2.4-zen-catu+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 5609344 11 fév 19:11 kernel-debian-sources-lts-x86_64-4.19.98_p1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 8763776  6 aoû  2019 kernel-genkernel-x86_64-5.2.4-zen-catu+

How do I keep it from getting merged . I removed it when I install my zen kernel but it came back today

Removing it is impossible

localhost ~ # emerge --deselect debian-sources && emerge -C debian-sources

Performing Global Updates
(Could take a couple of minutes if you have a lot of binary packages.)
  .='update pass'  *='binary update'  #='/var/db update'  @='/var/db move'
  s='/var/db SLOT move'  %='binary move'  S='binary SLOT move'
  p='update /etc/portage/package.*'
/var/git/meta-repo/kits/core-kit/profiles/updates/3Q-2019..

>>> No matching atoms found in "world" favorites file...
 * This action can remove important packages! In order to be safer, use
 * `emerge -pv --depclean <atom>` to check for reverse dependencies before
 * removing packages.

--- Couldn't find 'debian-sources' to unmerge.

>>> No packages selected for removal by unmerge

localhost ~ # eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
  [1]   linux-5.2.99-zen0
  [2]   linux-debian-sources-lts-4.19.37_p6
  [3]   linux-debian-sources-lts-4.19.98_p1 *

Now I need to delete the installed kernel by hand to keep it out but I am assuming that on the next update that trojan is going to be back.

I plan on upgrading my kernel to a newer one, I do not want an old kernel. I am keeping my funtoo functional in the hope that someday I can make it again my main system.

I am too busy with my work to have time to switch back to gentoo that still has 32 bit support.

I have been using arch linux for a few months  because of the lack of 32 bit support. The TI yocto cannot be used without 32 bit support.

I am likely going to be stuck with ubuntu or arch until TI stops requiring 32 bit support. When I complain I am told that ubuntu and centos are the only supported platform.

It worked correctly on funtoo until the removing of 32 bit support

I am hoping that their self extracting files are the problem. I probably could find a work around if that is the only thing that requires 32 bit support.

Basically it was a major goof from the funtoo team to remove 32 bit support.

Michel

5 answers to this question

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

Also you seem to not understand that debian-sources-lts is 1) Funtoo's official kernel and 2) very up-to-date when it comes to security fixes. You are free to run your own kernel but the debian-sources-lts kernel you see is not "a very old debian kernel."

Please read this: 

I truly do not understand why people do not grasp this. Do we not mention this in enough places? Maybe I need to add a paragraph about it in the Install Docs?

I have several reason to prefer my own kernel. The zen kernel appears to work better for my ryzen 2700x board. One main interest for me with kernel 5.4 is the support for J1939. Intrepics has a kernel module for their devices so I won't have to run windows to do my J1939 tests.

I plan to port my Funtoo on the Beagleboard AI to kernel 5.4, TI finally has one that support their devices, probably buggy ... They have some issues with their server lately, their git server often point to an internal server.

As for security it is not an issue for me, I know what to check.

Quick note, I watched the long  video on youtube , I was impressed. I may have been programming for nearly 50 years but am no match to you.

Have you gone back to Montréal lately? I miss living there sometimes but when I married a woman from Missouri I had to make different choices.

Michel

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

@minou666 yes sometimes I miss Montreal -- it has a place in my heart. I do have some family there, but I am not very close to them.

I grew up in Montreal in the 70's and early 80's as a kid and there was a lot more youthful energy in the city. Today it feels more 'dead' (maybe that is a bit too harsh) or quieter, or maybe a bit too refined. People have grown up. Youthful neighborhoods are filled with older people. Not as many young families. No 'electricity' or that feeling that you are part of a special thing at a special time in history. You feel that people are a bit more in the 9-5 grind, or maybe better to say the work routine of mid-life, with still some good life balance, but it is routine. Not bad, but in contrast to earlier times quite sedate.  It feels a bit sad to me because when I was a kid there, it was alive. Now it feels sort of like a modern version of a very good sports car that has lost some of it's 'magic', like the soul has been refined out. You will find some exceptions to this in some areas, and it's still a wonderful city -- I am just talking about the overall impression which was significant -- I was left with a feeling that despite it being a lovely city, it did not have the same magic I was hoping to experience.

Maybe Montreal is laying dormant until it awakens again.

For a good city to visit I recommend visiting Lviv, Ukraine. I was there relatively recently and it had very good energy. In a strange way I feel like you may feel more of a connection to the old Montreal in Lviv, on the other side of the world. Very different but similar energy. If you go there I think you will see what I mean (and if not, then I think you will still enjoy it ?. It is a city with a lot of history at a special point in time trying to make sense of itself in the world and you can feel that. The exchange rate also makes it a very inexpensive place to visit.

I also like Capitol Hill in Washington DC as a great place to be. Unlike US politics, everyone there is friendly and laid back, good Metro, walkable, outdoor markets, lots of things to do and see, and parks that are actually used by families. There is activity without the feeling of people being 'busy'.

Best,

Daniel

I don't travel much anymore beside going to Québec. I do have a lot of family there. With 6 brothers and 6 sisters, that makes a lot of  nephews and nieces and their kids.

And my uncles and aunts also had a lot of kids, most cousins are in Québec and Vermont.

My stay in Montréal was brief in the late 60s. When the Canadian military occupied Montréal I became very bitter toward the Canadian government after being subjected to police abuses. I went to Ontario to learn English.

I then came back to Québec in Trois Rivières to go to college and university. I eventually moved to Michigan to work. Sort of half way between Québec and Missouri. I wasn't happy about the failure of the 1980 referendum.

It wasn't until the early 90s that I went back to Montréal. I had a 3 years contract. Life was very different, I missed the café that we had in 1970. Funny thing was that I was told that I had a foreign accent

Michel