Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Gnome 3.12

I'm looking for a good howto for gnome 3.12 on funtoo. It doesn't really matter if I have to use systemd or not but a good tutorial would be nice.

Took about 4 hours from scratch to build a working cinnamon system yesterday but decided that I didn't like it and that I wanted to use xfs instead of ext4 and that I like gnome much better than cinnamon so I'm doing a fresh install.

So far I know that I'm going to need to use layman to get the ebuilds other than that I'm not sure if it will compile well or if there will be some hickups.

Thanks for any input.

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

We are not officially supporting systemd in Funtoo Linux "proper", which means that we will be stuck at GNOME 3.6 for a while.

I am planning to launch a project called FOAM (Funtoo Of Another Mother) which supports systemd and GNOME 3.12+. This will be a Funtoo-based system that uses systemd. But it won't be considered "Funtoo.".

We are not officially supporting systemd in Funtoo Linux "proper", which means that we will be stuck at GNOME 3.6 for a while.

I am planning to launch a project called FOAM (Funtoo Of Another Mother) which supports systemd and GNOME 3.12+. This will be a Funtoo-based system that uses systemd. But it won't be considered "Funtoo.".

I got it working after a little bit of trail and error. Thanks for the heads up about FOAM.