Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Gnome 3.14 seems very experimental to me

jochenf

Question

I installed Funtoo "current" version with Gnome 3.14. This Gnome version is very buggy and I think this is because of Funtoos patches to make it work without systemd (since 3.14 runs well on Debian Jessie with systemd).

So I'm thinking about doing a reinstall of Funtoo, but this time the "stable" version. Can someone tell me which Gnome version is in Funtoo stable? Is it below 3.8 or newer? I think the old versions run fine without systemd.

5 answers to this question

I actually liked gnome 3. It was working fantastic on gnome 3.12 for myself. The latest upgrade to 14 made gnome-session not start up.  http://forums.funtoo.org/index.php?/topic/267-gnome-314-doesnt-boot-i-suspect-cluttereglfglrx/&do=findComment&comment=1362

I am currently using mate, but I liked the window snapping, and was used to jumping from desktop to desktop from Gnome. Plus I also enjoyed the eyecandy.

In the middle of writing this, I started to recompile gnome. Going to give it another stab. see what happens. :)

I like GNOME less and less.  Now their edict to dispose of proper window manager chrome in favor of "header bars" is making applications that have worked fine under other desktops (e.g. evince and gthumb) look out of place.  

There are plenty of image viewers out there but most of the alternative pdf viewers are either based on a non-gtk toolkit or are focused on keyboard navigation with little in the way of GUI.  zathura seems to be the best choice and works pretty well once you find the commands for the options you use regularly.

I'm fairly confident that if there is any remaining instability with GNOME 3.14 it has nothing to do with my patchset but instead with changes introduced by GNOME 3.14 itself.

The only issue that comes to mind is FL-1687 which I belleive relates to a larger issue of how GNOME 3.14 is handling graphic related things and subsequently affects nvidia-drivers and to a lesser extent, fglrx. Otherwise, 3.14 is an improvement over 3.12 in almost every way.

Still, if 3.14 is giving you unnecessary trouble, simply downgrade by masking it.

I'm fairly confident that if there is any remaining instability with GNOME 3.14 it has nothing to do with my patchset but instead with changes introduced by GNOME 3.14 itself.

The only issue that comes to mind is FL-1687 which I belleive relates to a larger issue of how GNOME 3.14 is handling graphic related things and subsequently affects nvidia-drivers and to a lesser extent, fglrx. Otherwise, 3.14 is an improvement over 3.12 in almost every way.

Still, if 3.14 is giving you unnecessary trouble, simply downgrade by masking it.

For some reason it was giving me troubles with fglrx. I have been using radeon drivers for the past week. I am switching back to fglrx, just because I REALLY want some games to work correctly. :)

If it fails, I think I'm going to do an "emerge -eav world". (Heading out to visit some friends anyway this weekend. so that should be done when I'm back.)

If it doesn't work and  am going to do just what you're recommending. Mask Gnome 3.14.