Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

What is the core difference between funtoo and other linux distributions?

I used gentoo and funtoo for years, but not so often. The two help me a lot for learning linux while others didn't. I really thanks gentoo and funtoo.

By using gentoo, I learnt compiling kernel and I feel it is so cool when I cut all of useless features from the config and finally get a streamlined kernel. But compiling kernel is not always so interesting when you must balance between its size and working guarantee. So later I found funtoo can help me here because of its general debian kernel.

After that I periodically used funtoo. From then on, I always keep a question in my mind: what is the core difference between funtoo and gentoo or other linux? 

In order to find the answer, I not only search from google, but also use these different linux distributions. But longer time I do so, the question is deeper and boring me.

As my rough understanding, the difference between gentoo and funtoo is the following:

1. Funtoo default uses debian as its kernel while gentoo uses its own.
  2. Funtoo uses git for its portage while gentoo uses its original one (I don't know how to call it comparing with git).
  3. Funtoo has a tool to help simplify grub2 update config.

I believe there must be more differences, and these differences what I don't know are just what I want to know. And the most important thing I want to know is why Daniel develop funtoo.

Although I read a lot about funtoo's wiki or even Daniel's biography and stories, I still don't know why Daniel develop funtoo. For example, I don't quite feel using git to replace the current portage tool is necessary because I cannot feel much speed promotion on the upgrade procedure (I am not sure if this depends on the network performance). And I don't think the grub2 updating tool very necessary as I can use a script to implement similar effect. At least I think these two points are not the core difference between funtoo and others. I got to know Daniel successfully proposed funtoo used in some cloud environment (it seems like it is some special virtual machine). I am naive and don't understand. I am just curious if funtoo only suitable for these environment? If leaving these environment, what is the benefit of it?

Sorry for my question looks a little bit serious and critical. I am a little bit obsessive-compulsive disorder.  So If anyone can help me to clearly understand my question, I am so appreciate with you and I can have a good sleep then.

Gentoo doesn't allow easily eliminate systemd. Networking configuration in funtoo is better. The one thing annoying - i can't find in-system documentation for net stuff (man pages); and every time i configure nic, i need to go to /etc/netif.d/ to remember how parameters are written.

Lego12239,

I am not sure what you said is true. After all, Gentoo provide openrc from the very beginning when there is no systemd. And if you just want to use a static IP address, as my remember, you only need to config net file in /conf.d. Just for those wifi configuration, it is really too complex. But this complex is for both funtoo and gentoo.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

I spent two days (partial time) to review Daniel's video. I think it helps me a lot. My understanding is follows:

1. Funtoo is improvement from Gentoo, but not too much because of the lack of developer resources.
  2. Funtoo could be easily move forward by the dictation of Daniel. This benevolent dictation can avoid mass happened in Gentoo.
  3. Open Source things, suffered and happy :)

13 hours ago, bluephoenix said:

Lego12239,

I am not sure what you said is true. After all, Gentoo provide openrc from the very beginning when there is no systemd.

You can't avoid systemd simply by installing openrc. Many binaries of systemd package can still be in a system. In funtoo you can easily do:

epro mix-ins no-systemd

In gentoo(when i tried it) this can't be done so easy.

13 hours ago, bluephoenix said:

But this complex is for both funtoo and gentoo

I didn't say that in gentoo net conf is complex, i said that funtoo do it better ;-).