Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Long time After login

synteejol

Question

Hi, I have a little problema. I've installed GNOME and gdm as de and All worked fine. Then I decided to install also KDE plasma and sddm. I editore properly /etc/conf.d/xdm to run sddm instead of gdm. Sddm start as It should do but After I enter passwd It take a long time, After this long time my machine Is ready to work. I tried to do the same thing without the display manager, the so start in text mode, I enter username and password and the same thing happen, I have to wait for a couples of minutes to can use my machine. Thank you in Advance 

4 answers to this question

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

Make sure you are using 1.3-release, have enabled gnome as well as kde-plasma mix-ins and updated all your packages. KDE plasma starts after a few seconds delay here, but not a "long time" as you describe. Also check your logs and Xorg log for anything unusual. Make sure elogind has been added to the boot runlevel and started.

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

Awesome, glad to hear. That's one of the reasons why it's good to have a standard configuration that we test -- if there is a problem, you just gradually move more and more towards 'standard' (our standard kernel, etc.) and eventually find the solution -- as you did.