Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Fundraising on kickstarter

I wonder if you have considered fundraising for Funtoo on Kickstarter?

Usually things like "old devs starting new projects" get a lot of popularity there. I think that "Gentoo creator coming back with new project" would strike a good vibe with people who used Gentoo back in the day.

Not that I have any say in this at all, but as I understand it, Kickstarter is more for a defined project with an end date and specific goals that would be met.  Would Funtoo, being a Linux distribution, qualify as that?  Funtoo is an ongoing thing that will (hopefully) never see an end.  What would backers be getting in return?

I could be entirely wrong, I don't know much about Kickstarter, but I'm not sure the format fits.

Yes, I definitely think that it would be possible to define some goals like portage improvements etc.

As for the wow factor, that would require some brainstorming. I'm new to Funtoo so I don't really know all the stuff that's included.

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

I appreciate this suggestion. It is something I've thought of too. I think it would require a very detailed plan of action and set of deliverables. Right now, this isn't a great time to do that. But after I get some other things done, who knows, maybe it should be considered seriously.