Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Re: GCC 7.3.1 in core-kit 1.2 with Spectre V2 fixes

i don't know if it's wise to get rid of gcc-6.4.0 that fast since the most recent versions of cuda sdk/toolkit still depends on it as gcc versions later than 6 are not supported.

however i can confirm that forcing compilation of cuda depending applications (like net-p2p/xmr-stak or app-crypt/johntheripper) by replacing "#if __GNUC__ > 6" with "#if __GNUC__ > 7" on /opt/cuda/include/crt/host_config.h:119, didn't give me any compilation or runtime problem so far...

so please either leave gcc 6 ebuild alone or patch dev-util/nvidia-cuda-toolkit to ignore upstream unsupported gcc 7, thank you.

OK, I finished upgrading GCC to 7.3.1.  I had already completed the upgrade to Funtoo 1.2 with gcc-6.4.0.  I follow the same instructions except I changed `emerge -u1 glibc libnsl libtirpc rpcsvc-proto` to `emerge -1av glibc libnsl libtirpc rpcsvc-proto` otherwise nothing would be compiled in that step.

Now after rebooting, amavisd-new fails to start with this error

# /etc/init.d/amavisd start
 * Starting amavisd-new ...
Problem in Amavis::DB or Amavis::DB::SNMP code: 
BerkeleyDB needs compatible versions of libdb & db.h
    you have db.h version 6.0.30 and libdb version 6.0.35
Compilation failed in require at (eval 79) line 21.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 79) line 21.                   [ !! ]
 * ERROR: amavisd failed to start

sys-lib/db-6.0.35-r1 was already in use before I updated and it was recompiled during the gcc-7.3.1 upgrade.  I've tried recompiling db-6.0.35-r1 and amavisd-new-2.11.0-r3 (hasn't been compiled since Oct 1 2017) to no avail.

So, upgrading to gcc-6.4.0 caused no issues.  Upgrading to 7.3.1 kills amavisd-new-2.11.0-r3.  Might be other issues as well.  So basically, my email server is no longer processing incoming messages.  Any help would be appreciated.

************ EDIT **************

Nevermind.  I just needed to recompile dev-perl/BerkeleyDB.  Amavisd-new started just fine after that.

Edited by overkill
Found solution

• 3 months later...
  • Members
On 09/05/2018 at 5:15 PM, overkill said:

OK, I finished upgrading GCC to 7.3.1.  I had already completed the upgrade to Funtoo 1.2 with gcc-6.4.0.  I follow the same instructions except I changed `emerge -u1 glibc libnsl libtirpc rpcsvc-proto` to `emerge -1av glibc libnsl libtirpc rpcsvc-proto` otherwise nothing would be compiled in that step.

Now after rebooting, amavisd-new fails to start with this error

# /etc/init.d/amavisd start
 * Starting amavisd-new ...
Problem in Amavis::DB or Amavis::DB::SNMP code: 
BerkeleyDB needs compatible versions of libdb & db.h
    you have db.h version 6.0.30 and libdb version 6.0.35
Compilation failed in require at (eval 79) line 21.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 79) line 21.                   [ !! ]
 * ERROR: amavisd failed to start

sys-lib/db-6.0.35-r1 was already in use before I updated and it was recompiled during the gcc-7.3.1 upgrade.  I've tried recompiling db-6.0.35-r1 and amavisd-new-2.11.0-r3 (hasn't been compiled since Oct 1 2017) to no avail.

So, upgrading to gcc-6.4.0 caused no issues.  Upgrading to 7.3.1 kills amavisd-new-2.11.0-r3.  Might be other issues as well.  So basically, my email server is no longer processing incoming messages.  Any help would be appreciated.

************ EDIT **************

Nevermind.  I just needed to recompile dev-perl/BerkeleyDB.  Amavisd-new started just fine after that.

recompile dev-perl/BerkeleyDB work for me. Thanks! :D