Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

2nd Generation Funtoo Compute Infrastructure and Plan Upgrades

drobbins

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

Hi All,

We have deployed our second-generation compute infrastructure and have begun the process of moving containers over to it. This funtoo-based infrastructure is running on faster hardware and is using ZFS for storage. For more information on our second-generation platform, see https://www.funtoo.org/Funtoo_Containers

Also note that plans have been upgraded. Our base plan for $15/mo now comes with 8 cores and 60GB of storage (was 6 cores and 50GB previously.) The medium plan now has 16 cores and 120GB of storage (was 12 cores and 100GB). And our large plan now has 32 cores and 240GB of storage (was 24 cores and 200 GB). All existing containers will be automatically upgraded to these new resource levels when they are migrated to the new infrastructure :)

Best,

Daniel

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

One note that when we upgrade to core-kit-1.2, the minimum kernel supported will be linux-3.2. This upgrade should be happening within a week. You can choose not to upgrade and stay at core-kit 1.0 if you need OpenVZ RHEL6 compatibility. So it does appear that we will be moving away from OpenVZ for our default build.

• 2 months later...

My container was rebooted on Apr 17 22:36 UTC. Previously, my dovecot installation was non-functional since the migration to LXD, as execv() calls to dovecot's helper processes were failing. Now, after this reboot, dovecot is working as expected again.

Was there a mandatory access control (MAC) or some other restriction mechanism in place on the host system?

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, palica said:

this is planned through irc robot. including restarts of container. and other stuff. it is WIP.

Cool, I am always hesitant to get started with updated unless there is a  snapshot available to role back to. Or even better a snapshot to make the upgrade in until it is successful.

• drobbins unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

@palica @drobbins: Is AppArmor blocking Dovecot again? I see my Dovecot processes went down around 2019-11-18 01:35:01 UTC:

Nov 18 01:35:01 [dovecot] master: Warning: Killed with signal 15 (by pid=21330 uid=0 code=kill)

Subsequent attempts to restart Dovecot are failing:

# /etc/init.d/dovecot start
Fatal: execv(/usr/bin/doveadm) failed: Permission denied
 * Error parsing /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
 * ERROR: dovecot failed to start