funtoo forums
drobbins

2nd Generation Funtoo Compute Infrastructure and Plan Upgrades

Hi All,

We have deployed our second-generation compute infrastructure and have begun the process of moving containers over to it. This funtoo-based infrastructure is running on faster hardware and is using ZFS for storage. For more information on our second-generation platform, see https://www.funtoo.org/Funtoo_Containers

Also note that plans have been upgraded. Our base plan for $15/mo now comes with 8 cores and 60GB of storage (was 6 cores and 50GB previously.) The medium plan now has 16 cores and 120GB of storage (was 12 cores and 100GB). And our large plan now has 32 cores and 240GB of storage (was 24 cores and 200 GB). All existing containers will be automatically upgraded to these new resource levels when they are migrated to the new infrastructure :)

Best,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Do we need to expect a downtime/reboot during the migration ? I'm going to backup some files just in case :)

Funtoo container plans are truly impressive !

Hi Daniel,

very interesting news!

Does it mean that OpenVZ  kernel will not be supported/updated, at funtoo, anymore? And if anybody is using OpenVZ right now should plan/start migration to LXD?

And just curious - why LXD?

Thank you!

We will continue to support the OpenVZ RHEL6 kernel. This kernel will still be maintained upstream for several years.

LXD runs on newer kernels and is getting mature enough to use in production, so it worked well for us.

One note that when we upgrade to core-kit-1.2, the minimum kernel supported will be linux-3.2. This upgrade should be happening within a week. You can choose not to upgrade and stay at core-kit 1.0 if you need OpenVZ RHEL6 compatibility. So it does appear that we will be moving away from OpenVZ for our default build.

There is more to come such as running LXD inside you container, or running Docker inside your container, or even running VirtualBox inside your container.

Teaser:

image.png

Ubuntu inside VBox inside my container.

My container was rebooted on Apr 17 22:36 UTC. Previously, my dovecot installation was non-functional since the migration to LXD, as execv() calls to dovecot's helper processes were failing. Now, after this reboot, dovecot is working as expected again.

Was there a mandatory access control (MAC) or some other restriction mechanism in place on the host system?