funtoo forums
Sign in to follow this  
digifuzzy

TTY (console) colour changed after OpenRC start

Question

I just finished the update (kernel 4.14.2-1). Out of this I got one thing that is annoying and noobish.

The boot process goes along nicely in TTY. OpenRC starts up. All the while the screen is white text on black background. Then video driver is loaded...
The presentation is just horrible after that with light grey text on a white background!!!

Not sure how that came about as the console default was white text on black background and I didn't make any changes or customizations.
Maybe someone can help? Point me in the right direction?

Edit #1:
setterm does not affect display
contents of dmesg/message or xorg log are "unremarkable"

Edit #2:
Changed Title - Xorg is not installed on system.

@palica - I'm trying not to confuse the descriptions here. The desktop box(w/ Artix) is a separate machine. I included it's config as I thought it would be helpful comparison because it is not exhibiting the behaviour as the Funtoo box.

I built the genkernel on Funtoo via SSH. Quite certain I followed the instructions you gave me accurately. It just didn't work.
Cleaning up afterwards was messy - not up on all the details of kernel handling. Ended up un-merging and re-merging debian-sources. Made me appreciate what the folks at SystemRescueCD have done even more.

I'm not sure what you're asking me to do next.

When trying out new kernels it is always a good idea to leave the current and working kernel on the system as well, in case the new kernel does not work.

For that I have two entries in the grub config. One for the new and one for the old. If the new one does not work I can simply reboot and boot the old kernel. No need for a rescue cd then.

6 minutes ago, jhan said:

When trying out new kernels it is always a good idea to leave the current and working kernel on the system as well, in case the new kernel does not work.

For that I have two entries in the grub config. One for the new and one for the old. If the new one does not work I can simply reboot and boot the old kernel. No need for a rescue cd then.

Please correlate this statement to the instructions I was given from palica above. Then detail how you would peel back the non-working kernel, please.

35 minutes ago, digifuzzy said:

Please correlate this statement to the instructions I was given from palica above. Then detail how you would peel back the non-working kernel, please.

Ok, I'll have a try (although I do all that stuff manually).

The instrucions of @palica are good. You just need to have two kernels installed. A working one and another one you make the changes to. The missing part is the new entry in grub.cfg, which you add before the reboot (maybe genkernel already does that). Here is an example of my grub.cfg (don't mind the gentoo part, as I use gentoo-sources):

menuentry "Funtoo Linux test" {
  insmod part_gpt
  insmod ext2
  set root=(hostdisk//dev/sda,gpt5)
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set c6e932b1-0a2d-4fc7-b1a6-19539207fce6
  linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.14-gentoo root=/dev/sda5 raid=noautodetect
}

menuentry "Funtoo Linux - working" {
  insmod part_gpt
  insmod ext2
  set root=(hostdisk//dev/sda,gpt5)
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set c6e932b1-0a2d-4fc7-b1a6-19539207fce6
  linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.13-gentoo root=/dev/sda5 raid=noautodetect
}

Basically you just duplicate the menu entry of your working kernel and change the kernel version to the one you want to test. With this you can boot the "test kernel" and if this does not work you reboot into the "working kernel". This way you always have a working kernel at hand if any new kernel does not work on your system.

Hope that clarifies my suggestion. Feel free to ask again, if it is still not clear enough.