daemonbsd56

Source code dependency resolving algorithm

Question

Hello everybody,

Could somebody give me some hints finding a detailed howto /eventually the git page about the algorithm used by Funtoo/Gentoo. I'd like to understand the way it calculates the dependency resolution.

As far as i can understand, this is made during the emerge -(p)vDuna @world option. Am i right if i am saying this is done through the root/trunk/leave node dependency calculation (written in python?).

2 answers to this question

Yes -- the current code is fairly convoluted. It uses a depgraph to build up a dependency tree and then starts with the leaf nodes and works its way up the tree. The source code is here:

https://github.com/gentoo/portage/blob/master/pym/_emerge/depgraph.py

I've begun working on adding clearer documentation to the code but there is a lot more work to do on that front.

Thanks a lot Daniel. It will help me a lot understanding the Gentoo basics and certainly the Funtoo evolution to kits. I am just astonished about the packaging management behind those systems. It 's just fun and rock proof for managing a linux system. Combined with LFS as learning tool , it allowed me to better understand Gentoo and now Funtoo.

Cheers. :)