Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

A multitude of new kits...

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

Hi all,

A multitude of new kits are coming your way. I'll give you a list of what they are and share other kit-related updates with you.

The new kits you'll be seeing soon are: ruby-kithaskell-kitml-lang-kitlisp-scheme-kit, and xfce-kit. With the exception of xfce-kit, these kits are all essentially sub-kits of dev-kit (and now have their own kit, just to try to pare down dev-kit a bit.) xfce-kit is for the XFCE 4.12 desktop environment.

In addition, we have snapshotted/frozen the following kits: *java-kit*, ruby-kit, haskell-kit, ml-lang-kit, lisp-scheme-kit, *dev-kit*, xfce-kit and *desktop-kit*. Note that the kits in red are ones that previously following gentoo-current, and are now snapshotted as of today (Oct 22). The other kits listed are the new kits.

With this wave of new kits, I am pushing forward the kit paradigm. With additional snapshotting of previously 'current' kits, I am putting funtoo's developer focus on getting the new 1.1-prime core-kit, media-kit and friends truly ready for production. The goal is to shift major updates to that they come via kit upgrades rather than a trickle of new package updates.

What should you expect over the rest of the year? Expect further stabilization of our now-snapshotted kits. Also, when PHP 7.2.0 is released, expect a php-kit that will be snapshotted at 7.2-prime rather than following current as it does now. You should also expect to see a new generation of kits made available so you can select more recent packages. Also on the radar are automated features to help switch kits cleanly -- think of these as things like perl-cleaner and friends but that get automatically triggered when you switch kits to ensure a smooth transition. And yes, you will likely see a few more kits added to the mix, along with new ego features.

With these new kits, the kit paradigm has been further advanced and will continue to advance. Along the way, you may feel that Funtoo Linux updates are getting 'stuck' or not going as quickly as you like, due to kits being frozen. If this impacts you, please provide us with feedback so we are aware of what things you need updated and why -- and understand that the pause in version bumps is more of a temporary phenomenon rather than a permanent reality. The updates will come -- in the form of kit bumps! The adjustment of our dev process will happen, and soon will reap rewards by offering stability as well as the latest ebuilds for you to choose from.

Please feel free to share your questions and concerns on this thread.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Edited by drobbins
color tweakage

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

Also, in addition, I'm no longer updating master on the following kits: core-kit, security-kit, xorg-kit, gnome-kit, kde-kit, media-kit, perl-kit, python-kit. I made this change to reduce the clock time required to update our kits.

• drobbins pinned and featured this topic
  • drobbins unpinned this topic