Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Portage mess (ex: can't upgrade to >xorg-server-1.17.4-r1)

anichang

Question

I just made a plain funtoo install and I can't get updated packages.

emerge --sync

reports nothing to update.

ego sync

seems to update properly instead. But can't get (some) updated ebuilds. I can see here a news by Oleg on February 5, 2017 asserting "Due to several security vulnerabilities[1,2,3], xorg-server masks now removed, which will bring xorg-server-1.19.1 on current and 1.18.4 on stable builds." but I don't have those ebuilds in /var/git/meta-repo/kits/xorg-kit/x11-base/xorg-server . And by adding the gentoo, x11 and kde overlays I get a conflicts storm...

How do I move on from 1.17.4-r1? And more important: how do I check if my meta-repo is screwed?

Secondly, after Layman added /etc/portage/repos.conf/layman.conf I get

!!! Repository name or alias 'gentoo', defined for repository 'core-kit', overrides existing alias or repository.

every time I use emerge. Before emerging layman I manually cloned gentoo's portage and added a local overlay myself, ending up having the same error message; so I gave up and went layman's way... having the same result. Why an overlay (named "gentoo") "overrides existing alias or repository"? I can't grep any gentoo in repos.conf; they all have core-kit master!

thanks

anichang

5 answers to this question

According to xorg-kit: security backports to 1.17-prime

Security fix's have been applied to xorg-server-1.17.4-r1 for vulnerabilities mentioned here: http://www.funtoo.org/News:Xorg_and_other_Updates

There is no documentation on an approved method to use other than default branch in a kit.

ego sync command does not support this and switches back to the default branch.

The script in this post is reported to enable unsupported branch.

Instructions for adding an overlay to meta-repo:   http://www.funtoo.org/Local_Overlay

Funtoo updates supported package versions at a slower rate than gentoo. 

My advice is to check package versions and other concerns that affect your use case before you install a new distribution.

Thanks Cardinal, but my attempt to update packages was not because of the security issues: that machine is airgapped in a pretty hard to reach room. I am trying to install plasma+wayland (via elogind) and I have found a report of success using xorg-server >=1.19.1. I have no idea which lib from xorg is needed to get plasma5 running on wayland but ... that's the story. I am trying to avoid bare src injecting to keep the ego/emerge distro consistent.

I already manually installed a local overlay before using layman and the result is the same:

!!! Repository name or alias 'gentoo', defined for repository 'core-kit', overrides existing alias or repository.

Don't get me wrong, I feel pretty comfortable with Funtoo. I'm an old Gentoo user (I gave up around 2003 because I couldn't afford to build my software and went back on Funtoo around year 2013). I already made my choice.

I beg your pardon for whineing a bit: I just got confused with late mods to portage system... I am not sure yet whether they are bugs or features. Crossing the fingers until our benevolent dictator complete this hell of transition. There are spurious outputs everywhere; as soon as I finish to setup my new infrastructure I'll spend some time for helping sorting out the leftovers.

At this point this thread is over:

1) my repo is not screwed.

2) emerge behavior is consistend.

3) actual xorg-server package is patched.

The only thing I didn't get yet is that "gentoo" overriding an existing alias or repository; but it works. It just spits that message out.

I'll open a new thread for plasma+wayland setup.

Thank you all.

ego sync reports all on "prime".

Try to read that page If can be utile for You

Negative. I followed the page you pointed me at:

# cd /var/git/meta-repo
# git pull
# git submodule init
# git submodule update
# emerge -1 ego

plus

# ego sync

but It keeps holding my xorg-server to that bugged version.

Edit: anyway thanks for trying. That procedure updated ego and my Ego... but I've good reasons to be paranoid for ;)

Errata: I wrote a wrong title. I have xorg-server-1.17.4-r1 but can't upgrade to >xorg-server-1.17.4-r1.

If think you can't upgrade to >=xorg-server-1.17.4-r1 because there is no higher version in the repository:

ls -l /var/git/meta-repo/kits/xorg-kit/x11-base/xorg-server/

insgesamt 32
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 4690 19. Aug 21:06 Manifest
drwxr-xr-x 2 portage portage 4096 19. Aug 21:06 files
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  877 19. Aug 21:06 metadata.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 6405 19. Aug 21:06 xorg-server-1.17.4-r1.ebuild
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 6347 19. Aug 21:06 xorg-server-1.17.4.ebuild

So I think there is nothing wrong with your portage. There are just no newer versions in the repository yet.

My local clone is the same. What about this then? On february Oleg said "xorg-server masks now removed, which will bring xorg-server-1.19.1 on current and 1.18.4 on stable builds".

Many packages are pretty obsolete. I updated mesa (13->17) and xf86-video-nouveau (13->15) from Gentoo overlay and they work just fine; some issues I had with stock packages have been fixed in the new versions. So I tought that my install was broken...

According to xorg-kit: security backports to 1.17-prime
Security fix's have been applied to xorg-server-1.17.4-r1 for vulnerabilities mentioned here: http://www.funtoo.org/News:Xorg_and_other_Updates

There is no documentation on an approved method to use other than default branch in a kit.
ego sync command does not support this and switches back to the default branch.
The script in this post is reported to enable unsupported branch.
Instructions for adding an overlay to meta-repo:   http://www.funtoo.org/Local_Overlay

Funtoo updates supported package versions at a slower rate than gentoo. 
My advice is to check package versions and other concerns that affect your use case before you install a new distribution.