Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Donations & Containers

iodun

Hey All,

Currently I am donating 15$/month and have the smallest Funtoo container.

But I really like the Funtoo project and thought about upgrading to the 30$ or 45$ donations.

Now I wondered how effective those donations really are, because you also have to run the servers to provide those containers.

Also couldn't find any information on how the money is used and whether more money is actually useful/necessary?

Maybe Daniel or Oleg can say something about it.

Or anyone else was able to find a wiki page or thread about it?

• 1 month later...

Hey All,

Currently I am donating 15$/month and have the smallest Funtoo container.

But I really like the Funtoo project and thought about upgrading to the 30$ or 45$ donations.

Now I wondered how effective those donations really are, because you also have to run the servers to provide those containers.

Also couldn't find any information on how the money is used and whether more money is actually useful/necessary?

Maybe Daniel or Oleg can say something about it.

Or anyone else was able to find a wiki page or thread about it?

48G instance on DO will cost you nearly $500/m funtoo hosting is a steal, ive had the large container since day one with zero downtime.

• 1 year later...
  • Funtoo Linux BDFL

The money is used for a variety of purposes. First, to pay the hosting bills, but we do make a profit and the extra funds are used to pay Oleg so that he can work on Funtoo Linux full-time, for needed equipment for the project, as well as server upgrades. For example, I am building a couple of new 40-core servers with upgraded storage that are getting ready to go to the datacenter. If Funtoo has an expense, we have the funds to pay for it -- for example, this is commercial forums software. It also ensures that we have money to periodically upgrade our build systems, which currently are AMD excavator, Intel haswell, odroid xu4, and odroid c2. If I need a new piece of equipment, I can purchase it. Generally, I'm pretty frugal -- I'm using a (really nice) W541 laptop I purchased used from eBay and rebuilt, but I did recently upgrade my aging dual-monitor setup with some new Dell 25" monitors. So right now the funds just generally act as a buffer to keep Oleg supported and our equipment going, while allowing for periodic upgrades as needed.