Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

A good alternative to nvidia GPUs?

gatolinux

Question

Does exist a good alternative to nvidia GPUs?

Let me explain myself... I have seen so many posts for x or y GNU/Linux distribution complaining about issues -specially on distro upgrade- due to usage of nvidia GPUs, that I asked myself if there is another manufacturer of "friendly" good GPUs which provides drivers that brings the best of hardware with no software pain.

I guess gamers could easily comment on my concern. I am widely ignorant on games.

4 answers to this question

AMD has their Radeon GPU line and those are fairly good supported in Linux. Other manufacturers have gone under in the past decade. Intel recently launched their new GPU line up, with cards send to reviewers like LTT et all, but I've yet to see those in the wild.

Now, like nVidia, finding one, especially at MSRP, is a bit of a problem. Even used cards command prices higher then when new. Blame cryptominers for that.

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

@gatolinux I am using this exact card to drive dual 4K monitors and getting great performance:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1FT-0014-00723

(Radeon WX 3200 workstation card)

You don't need to go massive GPU or NVIDIA if you are just looking for general purpose performance. That's what these workstation cards are good at. And if you use a standard DE (GNOME, etc.) stage3 or build up a desktop environment using our gfxcard-amdgpu mix-in, this will just work.

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

Also note:

1. These are HP-specific cards but work in any system, although there is a note in the box saying warranty is void in non-HP systems.
  2. This is a low-profile card but comes with both low-profile and full-profile bracket. The low-profile edition is cheaper maybe due to people being afraid to order it for regular desktops when they shouldn't be worried at all as both brackets are included.

Thank you @dutch-master and @drobbins for taking the time to comment on this.

It's great to know about the AMD Radeon, Intel and that eye-catchihg HP Radeon Pro WX 3200. I will deeply consider the available driver you mentioned to be used in Funtoo along with the stage3.

From hardware scope, it's good to see that there are options beyond nVidia.

Thank you!