Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Error emerging libglvnd in Funtoo 1.3 -> 1.4 upgrade

nikkigirl

Question

Hello, hope everyone is going to have a good holiday.  Is there anyone around who might be willing to offer a little help?

Trying to update from 1.3 to 1.4.  but getting lots of slot conflicts on the emerge world.  Now I know this is probably not 

the way this is supposed to be done, but trying to emerge -u mesa  will error out when trying to emerge libglvnd from github.  Basically

the error is: 

Fetching https://github.com/NVIDIA/libglvnd.git ...
git fetch https://github.com/NVIDIA/libglvnd.git +HEAD:refs/git-r3/HEAD
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/NVIDIA/libglvnd.git/': Couldn't resolve host 'github.com'
 * ERROR: media-libs/libglvnd-1.1.1.20190313-r1::core-gl-kit failed (unpack phase):
 *   Unable to fetch from any of EGIT_REPO_URI

See the build.log and libglvnd.info file, but I suspect that someone here knows precisely what's causing this outside of me trying to be smarter than:

emerge -auDN @world --jobs=3 --exclude dev-lang/perl

which results in a tons of slot conflict errors.   So I am attempting to deal with this sequentially one pkg at a time manually.   I really really should probably address the slot conflict errors on the emerge @world instead of diving down this  wabbit hole,  but  I'm not so sure that if I did get the emerge @world to start emerging that I wouldn't get  the libglvnd error anyway.   Funtoo has always so stable that I just don't really mess with it  other than to update occasionally and  have been using it professionally for quite a number of years.  So I've not found it really necessary to know all the tricks with portage and emerge until now.   This is the first time I have ever tried to upgrade a live system to a new version , I've always installed on a live system in a chrooted environment.   So  instructions on https://www.funtoo.org/Upgrade_Instructions/1.4-release are not working so good for me.  Probably nutz to keep on doing this, I should just abort and install 1.4 to a chrooted environment instead of going through all this pain, but now I'm kind of committed to this path and I'd really like to know what's up with that git fetch error  on the libglvnd package.  Anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Nikki

libglvnd.info build.log

3 answers to this question

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

I just committed a fixed git-r3.eclass -- added 'PROPERTIES='live'' to the eclass. In my opinion, this is a silly new feature of Portage that was not necessary, as git-r3.eclass is not a wonderful idea in the first place and didn't need a new 'feature' to prevent it from breaking with the network-sandbox feature. Over-engineering.

Full fix should appear in meta-repo in 15 minutes.

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

I've committed a fix just now for libglvnd, but not the larger git-r3.eclass issue (which I'm working on now). The fix for libglvnd should be live in about 15 minutes.

I'll repeat what I said in the bug, as I think it's important to point out that git-r3 is a bad idea. Gentoo seems to be in love with git-r3.eclass but it sucks as I point out below:

"OK, I want to zoom out on this problem for a moment and just state that git-r3.eclass is in general a bad idea and the 'github hack' should be used in its place if at all possible. Yes, we need to fix git-r3.eclass, but when we have the opportunity, we should convert git-r3 ebuilds to github-hack ebuilds. Benefits are numerous:

1. git-r3.eclass actually uses git, which bypasses mirroring/CDN infrastructure, meaning we don't have a copy of the source code so it could disappear at any moment.
  2. Bypassing this infrastructure also bypasses Manifest files, which are used to securely verify integrity of source code
  3. git-r3.eclass is fragile and hacks the ebuild to run 'git' during src_unpack() – it does not use src_fetch() at all.

So to fix this specific problem, I just updated libglvnd to not use git-r3.eclass. We will need to still fix this but should start to remove all occurrences of git-r3 in core system ebuilds in Funtoo."

I just committed a fixed git-r3.eclass -- added 'PROPERTIES='live'' to the eclass. In my opinion, this is a silly new feature of Portage that was not necessary, as git-r3.eclass is not a wonderful idea in the first place and didn't need a new 'feature' to prevent it from breaking with the network-sandbox feature. Over-engineering.

Full fix should appear in meta-repo in 15 minutes.

That did indeed do the trick.  Thank you Daniel.?

Have a nice holiday and try to not work too hard OK?