Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

New Funtoo LiveCD UEFI bootable?

nrc

Question

Has anyone been able to boot the new Funtoo LiveCD from USB under UEFI?   I've created a sysrescuecd USB using essentially the same instructions and it boots under UEFI with no problem.  

My first attempt with the Funtoo LiveCD on USB using the 'dd' copy wasn't recognized as bootable under UEFI.   I mounted the ISO and used the included script 'usb_install.sh" to install it on the USB drive.  The result was recognized as bootable by UEFI but when attempting to boot it fails silently and then moves on to the next option.

6 answers to this question

Alienware Steam Machine which is the Alienware Alpha shipped with SteamOS.

Let me verify that this is still an issue.   In resolving the problem that I was trying to use a rescue boot for, I discovered that something writing dumps to /sys/firmware/efi/efivars had filled the efivars storage.  So it's not out of the question that the USB boot problem was related to EFI being borked in general.

Ok, I'll create a ticket on this but I wanted to close the loop on this thread.   I confirmed that following the install instruction creates a USB drive that won't boot on my UEFI boot Alienware Alpha or BIOS boot Latitude 13.  These are older systems (2015 and 2010) so maybe that's part of it.

The problem is that following the install instructions creates a device that is a bootable ISO 9660 CD-ROM image with no partitioning.  Maybe newer systems are smart enough to treat that as a USB CDROM but no settings on my systems would boot with it.  Copying the sysrescueCD ISO file, by comparison, creates a partitioned device which includes an EFI boot partition and boots on both systems with no problem.

The problem is that the Funtoo Live CD image is not a hybrid mode ISO.   The solution is to convert it to hybrid mode with isohybrid:

isohybrid -u funtoo-livecd-area31-5.1-beta.iso

This is actually mentioned on the Funtoo LiveCD page here:  https://www.funtoo.org/LiveUSB

On 11/2/2019 at 3:39 AM, nrc said:

Ok, I'll create a ticket on this but I wanted to close the loop on this thread.   I confirmed that following the install instruction creates a USB drive that won't boot on my UEFI boot Alienware Alpha or BIOS boot Latitude 13.  These are older systems (2015 and 2010) so maybe that's part of it.

The problem is that following the install instructions creates a device that is a bootable ISO 9660 CD-ROM image with no partitioning.  Maybe newer systems are smart enough to treat that as a USB CDROM but no settings on my systems would boot with it.  Copying the sysrescueCD ISO file, by comparison, creates a partitioned device which includes an EFI boot partition and boots on both systems with no problem.

The problem is that the Funtoo Live CD image is not a hybrid mode ISO.   The solution is to convert it to hybrid mode with isohybrid:

isohybrid -u funtoo-livecd-area31-5.1-beta.iso

This is actually mentioned on the Funtoo LiveCD page here:  https://www.funtoo.org/LiveUSB

Man, @nrc, I sure wish I would have paid more attention to your reports when I started my latest installs . . . I thought the Inspiron 650 was looking to get a few more grey hairs out of me <smile>

Once I hybridized the latest hackerspace iso, booting to efi was smooth as silk.

Thank you.

Regards, splifingate