Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Ocassional sound problem with N750JK Asus notebook

kayvax

Question

Hi all!

I have this wierd issue with my notebook. Sometimes I have just no sound from integrated speakers but headphones work properly. I have checked that they work in Windows so it seems that there may be some configuration problem.

Worst thing is I had not found deterministic way to reproduce this behaviour. I have finaly gave in as it occured again.

Here is my audio device list:

lspci|grep Audio
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

I attach also kernel config and alsa.conf from modprobe. I will post additional info if needed.

Best regards

config.txt

alsa.txt

6 answers to this question

I had the same problem with my laptop with a previous distro, I found a few mentions about it on the arch forum and it appeared to be a bug in something. I can't remember the solution, if there was one, now I'm afraid. I used to have to plug the headphones back in and pull them out again and it would work magically.

I had the same problem with my laptop with a previous distro, I found a few mentions about it on the arch forum and it appeared to be a bug in something. I can't remember the solution, if there was one, now I'm afraid. I used to have to plug the headphones back in and pull them out again and it would work magically.

Yea, in some cases it worked but once in a time it just does not switch.

i bet pulse audio and pulse's mixer would clear this up.....

you mean pavucontrol? Does nothing in my case, if I do manual switch to Speakers as output I just do not have sound.

@20141124

I have  worked it out.  Laptop needs to be turned off after work with windows, not rebooted as during reboot sound card will not reset.

Hi Kayvax!

I was considering getting this same laptop soon, but found a number of sites mentioning some problems with running linux on it. Mostly getting the graphics and audio to work (for example: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=175679, though he's using a much older kernel than I would) and the touchpad not working (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1483277).

Now that you've sorted out your sound issues, are you experiencing any problems with this laptop?

thanks!

Hi Kayvax!

I was considering getting this same laptop soon, but found a number of sites mentioning some problems with running linux on it. Mostly getting the graphics and audio to work (for example: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=175679, though he's using a much older kernel than I would) and the touchpad not working (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1483277).

Now that you've sorted out your sound issues, are you experiencing any problems with this laptop?

thanks!

• Video card switching is a mess. With optirun performance is low and I settled with no switching.
  • Touchpad worked without issues.
  • Function keys are mostly dead. Glad turning screen off works.
  • Other things like always on fan and a bit low angles of screen are rather hardware specific.

More questions?

Are the the correct modules loaded? 

# lsmod | grep snd

Also, you can try to load intel snd

# modprobe -a snd-hda-intel snd-hda-codec

Now, as I have compiled alsa as module problems with getting subwoofer to work stopped.  Patch from hdajackretask passes config to alsa during boot. Could not get it to work with builtin alsa.

Best regards