Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Terminal Colouring

There has to be a quick answer to this that doesn't involve massive amounts of web searches.

One of the nice/cool things to have in Funtoo is the automatic/automagical context colouring that occurs when using nano or such. My personal terminal preferences are dark in nature making reading dark blue or dark red text on a black ground almost impossible to read. This is especially noticeable when viewing emerge conflicts.

Where are the colour settings stored? Personally, I would like to edit these properties locally to improve readability.

4 hours ago, digifuzzy said:

@lazlo.vii

No. Not helpful.

In funtoo (at least mine) /etc/skel is an empty directory. My .bashrc contents are unaltered from default.

Try "ls -a /etc/skel/" and you should see 3 or 4 hidden files in there.  You might also look into a package called grc.  It is the Generic Colouriser and provides colored output for a wide variety of programs.

2 hours ago, lazlo.vii said:

Try "ls -a /etc/skel/" and you should see 3 or 4 hidden files in there.  You might also look into a package called grc.  It is the Generic Colouriser and provides colored output for a wide variety of programs.

Yes - hidden files in /etc/skel. No - not helpful as these are set to upstream default.

No on grc being installed but it is a possibility. Concern is would this package conflict with what Funtoo does.

I was hoping someone with distribution knowledge could chime in to explain how Funtoo implemented this as it seems this is specific to this distribution and not "generic linux".

26 minutes ago, bcowan said:

coreutils installs certain system files like /etc/DIR_COLORS and /etc/profile calls /etc/bash/bashrc which sources those colors and sets them.Also sources term files installed by ncurses for term capability etc.

There we go... Winner!