Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

How to update Python to 3.7 & rust with 4G RAM

bh2142

Question

My python-kit is in 3.7-release branch but python is still 3.6. Funtoo is 1.3-release.

I've tried ego sync and set PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_7", but it didn't work.

There are only 4G RAM (and 20G swap) on my old laptop and updating rust needs 7G. Does it means that I can never update it?

Marvin, L.

4 answers to this question

My python-kit is in 3.7-release branch but python is still 3.6. Funtoo is 1.3-release.

I've tried ego sync and set PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_7", but it didn't work.

This is normal, just because you see an ebuild with a higher version,doesn't mean your system is broken because portage is not updating automatically to that version.

Python-3.7 is masked in portage. 

The user has to manually override the mask with a configuration in package.unmask to install python-3.7

I only have 3g ram in this old macbook and rust builds fine. You can try just editing the ebuild for the ram check and change it to 2g. This may fail, I 'm not guaranteeing it will build on every system. If it fails there is always rust-bin to fall back on.

9 hours ago, bcowan said:

I only have 3g ram in this old macbook and rust builds fine. You can try just editing the ebuild for the ram check and change it to 2g. This may fail, I 'm not guaranteeing it will build on every system. If it fails there is always rust-bin to fall back on.

Thanks, I'll try it.