Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

The command groups <user> reports double entries

nikkigirl

Question

Fresh install using latest stage3-amd64-piledriver-1.3 .  the problem is this:

nikki@nikkisys ~ $ groups root
root bin daemon sys adm disk wheel floppy tape video root bin daemon sys adm disk wheel floppy tape video
|--------------------------------------------------| |--------------------WTF?--------------------------|

The same exact behavior can be observed with any valid user on the system. I have not noticed any adverse side effects from this, but the fact it is happening is beyond annoying, it's driving me a little crazy.   The /etc/group and /etc/group- files appear to be normal.  Running grpck -r and pwck -r does not reveal any abnormalities (and returns 0 back to the shell).  What gives?   @world and @system is up to date.  Apologies if not giving enough info, just not sure  what info is needed.  Anyone?  Thanks in advance. 

4 answers to this question

Hun...same here. I didn't notice that until I read through your post. I just double check my group file vs what is in the stage3 tarball used for install. They are both approximately the same (local has my user info added).
Quick googlefu came up with this - https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/8-grpck/
I need to read more about the `groups` command for myself.

You're not alone...

~Edit~
From man page (man groups):

The optional user parameter will display the groups for the named user.

So just `groups` (at root prompt) will produce the first part of the list - or groups for current user. Using `groups root` prints that list as well as the duplicates.
Try the same command as a normal user. You'll see similar duplication.

1 hour ago, digifuzzy said:

~Edit~
From man page (man groups):

So just `groups` (at root prompt) will produce the first part of the list - or groups for current user. Using `groups root` prints that list as well as the duplicates.
Try the same command as a normal user. You'll see similar duplication.

DOH!  I'm an idiot.  Interesting I never paid much attention to that behavior until now.  And I thought I was Linux savvy.   Not that desktop usage necessitates using it that often.  I still wonder why I've never given it much attention until now.  I wonder if that has always been the default behavior? Yeah, I'm grasping for straws here.  This is embarrassing.  <nikki> makes mental note to stop skimming over man pages and actually read them.  Thanks for the quick and friendly answer.