Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Funtoo 1.3 - Kit Snapshots

In  the release notes for Funtoo 1.3 there is the part about Kit Snapshots:

Kit Snapshots

The kits in meta-repo are based on a 13 November 2018 snapshot of Gentoo Linux. Unlike Funtoo Linux 1.2, all kits are frozen and 1.3 will serve as a "long term stable" (LTS) release of Funtoo Linux. This differs from the 1.2 release of Funtoo Linux where some kits were frozen, and others were not. We moved to a fully-snapshotted kit model to prevent unpredictable dependency breakage due to upstream changes that would apply to some kits but not others, which was an ongoing problem with the 1.2 release.

1. Is this why my 1.3 system hasn't seen much in the way of portage updates when I `ego sync`?
  2. Does this mean that Funtoo will be less of a rolling release system and only likely to see the 4+ larger yearly updates, as mentioned elsewhere in the release notes?

I have a few minor reservations about this:

• As a long time Gentoo and now Funtoo user I have come to understand that keeping the system updated is easier in little regular updates rather than trying to update a many months old system. Will this problem rear its head when Funtoo pushes an update?
  • So far the 1.2 and 1.3 updates have been less than trivial processes to get through. Will this process get simpler/be automated?

Obviously these are small potatoes to that of the considerations put into producing an entire linux distro but I have come to expect a certain way of doing things with Funtoo and like most people I fear/hate change even when it is likely for the best.

It's quiet.... Too quiet.

There was some comment about this in Jira as well: https://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-6219

I think it will be a good thing as long as the schedule can remain at least quarterly and upgrades are reasonably painless.  I'm thinking/hoping that 1.2/1.3 were the exceptions because they represented some substantial changes in the underpinnings.

Rolling releases are a mixed blessing.  We're all trained to pull the lever to get the next food pellet.  Most of the time it's nothing useful and sometimes it creates a lot of pain by breaking things.  If we can keep things fresh and avoid the breakage while freeing up the development team to create more cool Funtoo stuff then I think it will be a win.

17 hours ago, hhhhardware said:

In  the release notes for Funtoo 1.3 there is the part about Kit Snapshots:

1. Is this why my 1.3 system hasn't seen much in the way of portage updates when I `ego sync`?
  2. Does this mean that Funtoo will be less of a rolling release system and only likely to see the 4+ larger yearly updates, as mentioned elsewhere in the release notes?

I have a few minor reservations about this:

• As a long time Gentoo and now Funtoo user I have come to understand that keeping the system updated is easier in little regular updates rather than trying to update a many months old system. Will this problem rear its head when Funtoo pushes an update?
  • So far the 1.2 and 1.3 updates have been less than trivial processes to get through. Will this process get simpler/be automated?

Obviously these are small potatoes to that of the considerations put into producing an entire linux distro but I have come to expect a certain way of doing things with Funtoo and like most people I fear/hate change even when it is likely for the best.

Good questions. I would also like to know more about this.