Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

IMPORTANT: 1.3-release to BETA and removal of multilib

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

Hi All,

Within 12 hours, I plan to move 1.3-release to BETA status.

Along with this comes the very important change on 64-bit platforms -- I am removing multilib and making "pure64" compatibility the default. This means that 1.3-release builds with the x86-64bit arch will be 64-bit only.

This is done for a variety of reasons, most important of which is that the world has had a 64-bit PC instruction set for approximately 15 years. It is time to drop 32-bit support. For those who still need 32-bit support, it will be available via a Funtoo 32-bit chroot setup.

The story behind multilib is rather complex and interesting, and might be the focus of a future blog post, but for now, you will just have to trust me -- multilib support in Gentoo is a pain in the butt. It takes a lot of effort to work with and slows us down. Our efforts are best spent in other places, and chroot should work for the vast majority of users who truly are running a critical 32-bit application (other options are 32-bit containers, etc.)

EDIT: Upgrade Instructions Here: https://www.funtoo.org/Upgrade_Instructions/1.3-release

Best,

Daniel