Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Do I need to file a bug, or am I just being a nuisance?

paddymac

Funtoo is my favorite Linux distro. I've been using it enthusiastically since at least 2012. I've been tinkering a lot with FreeBSD for the past 3 years which has divided my attention, but I still use Funtoo as my primary desktop OS.

Here's my concern. I'm using Funtoo 1.2. In the past few months, I've encountered a LOT of blockers when trying to emerge world. Sometimes the blockers are things that don't exist in the portage tree, sometimes they are things which need to be unmasked, and sometimes they are things which need to be unmasked by keyword. I went through a short period of time where I filed a lot of bugs about these blockers. But one bug I filed was dismissed as a "workaround" because I filed a bug about something which needed to be unmasked.

My feeling on the matter is that, if I try to emerge a package that it unmasked by default, then it should emerge without any problem. It should NOT require me to unmask anything or unmask something by keyword. Only ebuilds which are themselves masked or keyworded should rely on other ebuilds which are masked or keyworded. That's my opinion, but if that is not the opinion of the Funtoo project, I ask that such opinions be made plain so that people like me who love the project and want to contribute do not become nuisances by filing bugs or complaining when that is not the goal of the project. But at the same time, if that is not the goal of the project, then why are such bug reports being closed as "workaround" instead of being properly fixed? I asked Daniel and the rest of the Funtoo devs to please make a clear statement about these sorts of things so that users like me who are trying to help can be a genuine help without being a nuisance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Funtoo Linux BDFL

I believe the root cause of this is that we used different snapshot dates for various parts of 1.2. We are getting away from this with 1.3, so it should go away with 1.3 when it is released. We'll use a unified snapshot for that release.

However, these issues should be fixed in 1.2 when found, if possible.

If you can point out bugs that you feel were improperly closed without being correctly addressed, I can investigate.