Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

[Solved] Why does debian kernel need 20G free disk space?

bluephoenix

Question

Why does debian kernel need 20G free disk space? Why I didn't face this requirement when I use Gentoo and its kernel?

This requirement causes Funtoo user need to leave at least 20G free disk space forever except he will not compile kernel forever. And the manual says the compile time will be more than 1 hour even on the modern CPU, but I remember I only need less than 10min when I compiled Gentoo kernel in a normal CPU.

I don't like this limitation somehow and I'd like to know what is the benefit I get from the default situation.

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

benefit is that you don't have to configure your own kernel. and you are getting a generic distribution kernel where most of the stuff should just work. If you have compiled your kernel in gentoo and know what you are doing then you can surely stick to the old habit.

hdd space is cheap these days :)

6 minutes ago, palica said:

benefit is that you don't have to configure your own kernel. and you are getting a generic distribution kernel where most of the stuff should just work. If you have compiled your kernel in gentoo and know what you are doing then you can surely stick to the old habit.

hdd space is cheap these days :)

20GB is still huge for a kernel though.  Even Red Hat's kernel isnt that huge.  I am able to install a minimal installation of Red Hat on a 7 GB VM VHD

Thanks you guys' explain to my question!

My agree and disagree are half half.

One important reason I choose Funtoo/Gentoo is I need an OS to run on my OLD machine on which I don't have enough disk space. For those OLD machine, 20G free disk space is not so easy. Or considering the virtual machine you rent from cloud company, every byte values money.

Second import reason I choose Funtoo/Gentoo is easy customization according to some special requirements. Your GENERAL debian kernel may not fulfill my need. So in this case I have to re-compile the kernel after I edit the config. I didn't find complete document describe the method. So I write another new topic to get help.

And two questions I still curious:

1. Why compiling debian kernel consumes too much resource while gentoo kernel does not?

2. Could I choose to use Gentoo kernel without any problem coupled with Funtoo architecture? 

8 hours ago, bluephoenix said:

For those OLD machine, 20G free disk space is not so easy.

you can compile it on a newer machine and install binary package.

1. Why compiling debian kernel consumes too much resource while gentoo kernel does not?

the kernel size and also the kernel compile/build dir size depends on the amount of modules/options selected. You can surely build a smaller kernel with only modules you know you'll use.

2. Could I choose to use Gentoo kernel without any problem coupled with Funtoo architecture? 

Yes, you can!