Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

System resurrection Page

Maybe I should reformulate my question: What is the difference between quickpkg and emerge --buildpkgonly?
Neither do I understand the difference between install -d /mnt/rescue and mkdir /mnt/rescue
except that install could set permissions which makes it better idiomatically for installation purposes.
----------------------------------
The System resurrection page currently reads:

In the following example capture everything installed within the "source environment" that is related sys-devel/gcc (4.4.5 is present on the system) is captured in a single archive named gcc-4.4.5.tbz2 located in /usr/portage/packages/sys-devel:

# quickpkg sys-devel/gcc

If you need to recompile a package instead of archiving an already deployed version (and of course without installing it on your "source environment"), just do:

# emerge --buildpkgonly sys-devel/gcc

I wonder if RECOMPILE A PACKAGE and ARCHIVING AN ALREADY DEPLOYED VERSION should be switched around the INSTEAD OF to read something like:

In the following example capture everything installed within the "source environment" that is related sys-devel/gcc (4.4.5 is present on the system) is captured in a single archive named gcc-4.4.5.tbz2 located in /usr/portage/packages/sys-devel:

# quickpkg sys-devel/gcc

If you would rather archive an already deployed version (perhaps useful for later) and restore from that archive instead of simply recompiling the package(s), just do:

# emerge --buildpkgonly sys-devel/gcc

You wouldn't want to install the archive content into your working chroot "source environment" because that's where the archive content came from.

----

I also wonder if the --include-config y arguments to quickpkg would be a good idea, as palica has suggested to solve my current toolchain issues. I leave it to more knowledgable people to decide what is best.

quickpkg - grabs the files already on your system and packs them to a tbz2 archive.

emerge --buildpkg(only) - emerges the package and packs an archive from the build directory.

The only difference is if the files on your system were already modified, then you will pack modified files with quickpkg, emerge will always generate files as they get installed on your system (vanilla so to say).

so recompile = emerge

pack what is already installed = quickpkg

since you are grabbing a fresh stage3 direct from the build server, you can generate packages from what is already installed and save time, if you are unsure and have time emerge --buildpkg will also work.

mkdir vs install no difference, just a preference I think.

• 1 year later...