Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Move to more "unstable"?

mengele

Hey fellas,

So far I am really enjoying Funtoo and what it has to offer. The only downside is its further behind than what I would like. Is there a good way to help test more "unstable" or "bleeding edge" packages for the community? I already have experimental selected in ego for my profile but so far that hasnt seemed to do much.

Thanks.

good way is to list what ebuilds you are missing or would like to be version bumped. For now you can write it here, for the future there is bugs.funtoo.org where you can request for a new/update ebuild.

I like to be bleeding edge myself, but as you grow older you will like stuff to just work and that is where funtoo is heading. Yes, it is not there yet. If you are considering yourself a developer or someone who can write and test ebuilds join #funtoo-dev on freenode irc.

On 12/14/2017 at 4:00 PM, palica said:

good way is to list what ebuilds you are missing or would like to be version bumped. For now you can write it here, for the future there is bugs.funtoo.org where you can request for a new/update ebuild.

I like to be bleeding edge myself, but as you grow older you will like stuff to just work and that is where funtoo is heading. Yes, it is not there yet. If you are considering yourself a developer or someone who can write and test ebuilds join #funtoo-dev on freenode irc.

Yeah I understand. But I kind of think you missed my point. For example "current" gcc is 7.2 but yet Funtoo is still on 5.4.0. Why? Eh thats not for e to really ask or answer. 

My point was (and I hope this is more clear) is maybe there is an unpublished core set that devs can get in to help track down bugs.

Funtoo tries to test stuff internally by the devs and not "leave" the testing to normal users that sometimes don't have a clue. So that is why funtoo is using gcc-5.4.0 to compile stages and also as default compiler. There are already stages that are getting build with gcc-6.3.0 and there soon will be a new toolchain upgrade/release for all. You are welcome to join the #funtoo-dev on freenode (IRC) if you have time and resources and would like to help test new stuff.