Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

new ego and inactive kit branches

m03geek

Hello. After updating ego to 2.2.X it started ignoring my ego.conf and switched couple of kits to "default" branches. However I would like to stay on "master" branches, but it doesn't allow this any more.

The branch master specified .... is not currently active; using default kit instead

So is it some kind of planned feature? Any normal way to switch back again to master branches or just "git pull master" in kits git dirs?

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

I've stopped updating some master branches in anticipation of us being more aggressive in delivering prime branches that are updated, and it does take some time to generate each branch and I wanted to optimize our tree update process.

• 2 weeks later...

That's over 300 downgrades for me - most of which come from kde-kit (I had kde-apps 17.08.2, kde-frameworks 5.39.0, and kde-plasma 5.11.1).  Of particular note is the blockage of mariadb-10.2 by akonadi-17.08.1.

Other than that (which is fixable by just a mask) I don't really see anything that especially concerns me... I would like to have a non-RC version of mesa in xorg-kit though (current is 17.2.3, xorg-kit has 17.2.0_rc5).

I don't necessarily have a huge problem with all these downgrades in that nothing should break anything I have/do - but it's definitely a non-trivial annoyance.  I hope that once kits are in a more stable place we'll get the option back to track gentoo-current more closely.

On 11/4/2017 at 5:49 AM, captaincrutches said:

That's over 300 downgrades for me - most of which come from kde-kit (I had kde-apps 17.08.2, kde-frameworks 5.39.0, and kde-plasma 5.11.1).  Of particular note is the blockage of mariadb-10.2 by akonadi-17.08.1.

if you don't want to downgrade and keep staying up to date with kde-kit's stuff, this is what i did:

# check out gentoo's tree:

cd /var/git
git clone git://anongit.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git

# create a script that syncs kde-kit's stuff from the gentoo's tree to a local overlay:

cat > /root/sync_kde.sh
#!/bin/bash
cd /var/git/gentoo
git pull
cd /var/git/meta-repo/kits/kde-kit
for i in *-*
do
        [[ ! -d /usr/local/portage/kde/$i ]] && mkdir /usr/local/portage/kde/$i 
        cd $i
        for j in *
        do
                [[ -d /var/git/gentoo/$i/$j ]] && rsync -a --delete /var/git/gentoo/$i/$j /usr/local/portage/kde/$i/
        done
        cd ..
done

# add the following to /etc/eix-sync.conf:

@/root/sync_kde.sh || true

# and finally add the overlay to make.conf:

PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage/kde"