Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

static IP configuration

jwjones

Question

So, I now have a basic working Funtoo installation, as detailed from this post:

http://forums.funtoo.org/topic/410-new-funtoo-user/

However, I am stalled on static IP configuration, and have no internet connection. All of our machines here at work have static IP addresses, whether desktop or server. Ugh.

I have configured (or so I think) via instructions for "Server Network Configuration":

# cd /etc/init.d
# ln -s netif.tmpl netif.eth0

Using nano, I created /etc/conf.d/netif.eth0 configuration file with this info:

template="interface"

ipaddr="192.210.200.164"

gateway="192.210.200.10"

nameservers="192.210.200.10"

domain="funtoo.org"

And then:

# rc-update add netif.eth0 default

Also rebooted. During boot, it indicated that eth0 was up, but "RTNETLINK answers: Network is unreachable." Other than not having my netmask info, this is the same static IP info I usually use for this machine. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

before doing any of this: nameservers="192.210.200.10" to nameservers="8.8.8.8"

basically drop in a known working name server 1st, double check the gateway is correct.  the information you gave omits the subnet mask.  the work network could have a wonky subnet mask.

post the output of ifconfig, and ifconfig -a, and dmesg.

i use network manager, there is a command line ncurses interface for it...  id emerge network manager (and follow along funtoos package page about it) from chroot, and use nmtui in console to configure the ip addresses.

OpenStack_SA002.jpg

you could turn that old machine into your offices new dhcp server that assigns specific addresses to specific computers, and provides generic pool ip addresses to roaming machines with dnsmasq.

Also rebooted. During boot, it indicated that eth0 was up, but "RTNETLINK answers: Network is unreachable." Other than not having my netmask info, this is the same static IP info I usually use for this machine. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!

I just had exactly the same thing happen. Close scrutiny of my /etc/conf.d/netif.eth0 configuration file revealed I had fat fingered the IP. I had two numbers transposed. So much for my carefully reviewing what I had typed before saving the file.   :angry:

Anyway, it works now.  :)