Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

New Funtoo user

jwjones

Hello good people!

I signed up here a while ago, but have only been lurking, as I hadn't yet ventured into installing Funtoo. I finally took the plunge yesterday at work, and started to install Funtoo on an old AMD Athlon 2000 XP desktop machine (768MB RAM, 80GB HDD!), to familiarize myself with the process, to eventually install on my own Core2 Duo desktop.

Linux kernel 3.16.2 was still building when I left for the weekend, so hopefully on Monday I will return and finish the process.

Oh, as background: I have been using Linux since about 1999. I think my first was RedHat (pre-Fedora). Ran Debian for a long time. Eventually moved to Slackware, and have been a happy slacker ever since, but I really wanted to delve into the source-based world of either Gentoo, Funtoo, or CRUX. So I decided on Funtoo, mostly because it seems like "Gentoo-improved," has a smaller community forum (Gentoo's is huge, CRUX is mailing-list only), and seems determined to avoid the "systemd takeover" of Linux.

I imagine I will have some questions along the way, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

hi welcome to the forums.  i also am a former slackware user.  i did a bit of distro hopping and eventually landed here.  that kind of machine i would build over ssh, and take your time.  boot live media, setup ssh, and ssh into the live media.  have a more powerful gui work station or what ever sshed in, then get screen going on the live media so you can detach the terminals, and leave the system to work in the background.

i think of installing funtoo as like parting together a linux system.  you use another live distro temporarily either directly or by ssh, mount the drive and chroot to it's mount point then you can directly repair any problems or fix anything from the chroot.  if the system doesn't boot correctly re load chroot, and work on it.

on the new funtoo computer im building the os on to, i partition, and format the hard drive, i install the stage3, a kernel, and a boot loader.  once i get that running stable, booting properly with networking, and everything going well, tada i reboot into a working funtoo machine.  i emerge everything else i want, and set everything else up like gui, and sound from the funtoo machine, rather than chroot.  once that is up you can turn ssh on and work on the funtoo system from anywhere headless.  you'll probably want to run that older machine as a server.

i use xubuntu 14.04 live for chrooting on my machine when i install/reinstall/repair it, i dont bother with ssh or other machines anymore.  your core 2 machine could handle gui live media so you could chroot from debian live media easily.  the core2 machine could probably handle usb live media too.  from the live media you can look at the wiki and forums about building what ever, or troubleshoot packages you're having problems with and have access to the funtoo system under the live media via chroot.

i like xubuntu because its set to go for many situations including wifi, where i found debian is a little lean to be using as a repair Swiss army knife.  i like the alternate media because its less hoops to jump through and you're already comfortable with it.  it would probably be a good idea for you to gist the mounting/chrooting commands you use to load up funtoo on github, and give it good tags so you could google exactly for the commands from live media.

last time i tried (a long time ago) to make a sysrescuecd usb boot drive with unetbootin i had problems, although it does have its own usb media install instructions, i highly recommend usb media, its more responsive and quicker than cds, but is limited to later stuffs bios supporting it, that old machine probably doesn't do usb boot but it might.

http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_install_SystemRescueCd_on_an_USB-stick

i just got the systemrescuecd iso to test with unetbootin again, ill play with it in virtual box.  i see they improved the usb stick install quite a bit.  its down to a simple script now.

• 2 weeks later...