Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

nvidia geforce 8800 gt drivers

donjames

Question

6 answers to this question

Supposedly the GPL restrictions on the nvidia drivers problem is solved, but I find it not to be so on the 340.xx series, has been an issue since 4.2.0.  So I have to patch the kernel with this:

# cat /usr/src/fix_gpl
#!/bin/bash

sed -i 's/EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(flush_workqueue/EXPORT_SYMBOL(flush_workqueue/' linux/kernel/workqueue.c

So that solves the GPL problem.  I just leave that snippet in my /usr/src directory and run it before compiling each kernel.

Additionally another patch is needed for the driver itself.  I can't give a reference for this patch, I found a fellow talking about it on a forum, it wasn't really given in usable patch form, but it was clear enough for me to make this patch:

# cat /etc/portage/patches/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-340.93-r1/kernel-4.3.0.patch

--- a/kernel/nv-procfs.c	2015-08-19 16:00:07.000000000 -0700
+++ b/kernel/nv-procfs2.c	2015-11-05 17:07:24.395722706 -0800
@@ -356,7 +356,8 @@
     registry_keys = ((nvl != NULL) ?
             nvl->registry_keys : nv_registry_keys);

-    return seq_printf(s, "Binary: \"%s\"\n", registry_keys);
+    seq_printf(s, "Binary: \"%s\"\n", registry_keys);
+    return 0;
 }

static ssize_t
@@ -552,7 +553,8 @@
     void *v
 )
 {
-    return seq_puts(s, s->private);
+    seq_puts(s, s->private);
+    return 0;
 }

NV_DEFINE_PROCFS_SINGLE_FILE(text_file);

He was really talking about the 352.xx drivers, but it turned out to be so for the 340.xx series also.

If you use those patches and recompile your kernel it will install.  Several days now, no problems here.  Good luck.

Hi Sputnik,

Thanks for the reply.

I found a generic  driver that works.  I will wait for the kernel fix.

Regards,

Don James

Supposedly the GPL restrictions on the nvidia drivers problem is solved, but I find it not to be so on the 340.xx series, has been an issue since 4.2.0.  So I have to patch the kernel with this:

# cat /usr/src/fix_gpl
#!/bin/bash

sed -i 's/EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(flush_workqueue/EXPORT_SYMBOL(flush_workqueue/' linux/kernel/workqueue.c

So that solves the GPL problem.  I just leave that snippet in my /usr/src directory and run it before compiling each kernel.

Additionally another patch is needed for the driver itself.  I can't give a reference for this patch, I found a fellow talking about it on a forum, it wasn't really given in usable patch form, but it was clear enough for me to make this patch:

# cat /etc/portage/patches/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-340.93-r1/kernel-4.3.0.patch

--- a/kernel/nv-procfs.c	2015-08-19 16:00:07.000000000 -0700
+++ b/kernel/nv-procfs2.c	2015-11-05 17:07:24.395722706 -0800
@@ -356,7 +356,8 @@
     registry_keys = ((nvl != NULL) ?
             nvl->registry_keys : nv_registry_keys);

-    return seq_printf(s, "Binary: \"%s\"\n", registry_keys);
+    seq_printf(s, "Binary: \"%s\"\n", registry_keys);
+    return 0;
 }

static ssize_t
@@ -552,7 +553,8 @@
     void *v
 )
 {
-    return seq_puts(s, s->private);
+    seq_puts(s, s->private);
+    return 0;
 }

NV_DEFINE_PROCFS_SINGLE_FILE(text_file);

He was really talking about the 352.xx drivers, but it turned out to be so for the 340.xx series also.

If you use those patches and recompile your kernel it will install.  Several days now, no problems here.  Good luck.