Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

SR-IOV NICs and VLANs

Hello, so I looked into the recently added documentation on SR-IOV Device Configuration under the Networking page on wiki and I see this, quote:

vlan= is optional. If given, the hardware will tag and untag the packets automatically, and will prevent the guest system from altering it.

but if I do treat is as optional, as the wiki says and not set it, it all errors out:

root@g44:~# rc-service net.test start
net.test            | * Caching service dependencies ...

* ERROR: Required configuration variable(s) are missing:
 *     vlan
 * Please correct your configuration to address this issue.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          [ ok ]
net.test            |
net.test            | * ERROR: Required configuration variable(s) are missing:
net.test            | * 
net.test            | *     vlan
net.test            | * 
net.test            | * Please correct your configuration to address this issue.
net.test            |
net.test            | * ERROR: net.test failed to start

So the question is: is the documentation wrong and it is required or is it a bug?

As vlans are rather pointless in my use-case, I am asking because I want to know whether I should start dealing with vlans after all, if required or should I wait until it's fixed, in case it's a bug. Thanks!

I have 1.6.5, too and I have grep'd through my entire rootfs and only other references to virtfn I found were in the kernel source code under /usr/src/linux and not a trace anywhere else. This confused me a bit, on how virtfn variable is handled on the userspace side at all. That's one of the reasons I ended up asking here – I ran out of ideas on how to figure it out myself without employing some very tedious and time-consuming approaches.