Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Funtoo is now on Discord

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

For those who may not understand the embracing of next-gen communication clients... it's really not about the technology here.

We have people who use Discord and Telegram already, and do not like IRC.

I, personally, am really enjoying the newer communities over freenode. I feel like there's too much rumors/OSS politics on freenode these days. I spend my time on freenode dealing with this crap rather than having fun and moving Funtoo forward.

I see too much weird community dynamics -- too much drama, and we're sitting right next to the Gentoo channels and there is often unpleasant "overspray" I need to deal with -- things like "hey drobbins, did you see that person X is saying thing Y about Funtoo and/or you in channel Z?" Then I feel obligated to personally deal with it.

If you are someone who loves freenode and the freenode community, you should be there. I have been using freenode since before it was called freenode. I remember when lilo (now deceased, and relentlessly attacked by his detractors) ran the show. Freenode, despite its reputation for being the place on the Internet for OSS-related chat, has always been a rough place socially to some degree.

The truth is that there are a lot of options for Funtoo users to find a community that works for them, and I'm really happy to be not just on Discord but on Telegram too:

https://t.me/funtoolinux

The important thing is to find a community that is a positive environment for you, that gives you energy rather than takes it away, so for these reasons I am very glad for Discord and now Telegram and think everyone should be too ?

The newer technology is also nice -- like being able to edit posts, post actual screenshots into the channel for support purposes, funny gifs, voice support, *amazing mobile clients*, etc etc etc.

-Daniel